Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

crossroads on head selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossroads on head selection

I have a 370 short block on the stand it consist of wiesco flat tops with 3.2cc reliefs callies rods and factory crank. Its going in a rcsb backed with a 4l80 and 3500 ish stall plan to drive it on the street more than anything. I had planned to run PRC 250cc ls3 heads milled to 64cc to put me around 11:1 comp. I already have a cam for the square ports 235/251@.050 .621/.624 113.0 recommended by a local builder. After some reading I am having second thoughts that I am going to give up too much low end with the square ports over a cathedral port setup. I will be sprayin it whatever it takes to run 10.50s up to 300 total. Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I cant make up my mind and the more I read the worst I get wrapped up in different ideas.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:36 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u can swing it Look into all pro,Trick flow or dart heads .
Basically a really good cathedral port that can flow like those square ports
Old 09-27-2013, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

If I go cathedral is was thinking prc 227s
Old 09-27-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats not a bad cam they must of designed it around the nitrous the lift could go 621 or 624 across, i'd say this i'm a big fan of the ls3 heads i run them on my 408 and they flow very well but you can get the same effect out of a set of 243/799 heads with lots of port work 11:1 compression is a nice sweet spot and still run pump gas i did it for years on a stock bolted 6.0, just make sure the valvetrain is setup right whichever way you go, personally dont like the stall speed but thats just me im more into the big stalls specially a triple disc cause with the right tuner its easy on the street. either had will give up or gain anywhere in the powerband it all depends on how all the other parts are setup and chosen specially if youre spraying it then i wouldnt worry so much about low end but then again thats just me

what intake you plan on running ?

what header size & exhaust ?

whats it going in ?

lay it out on paper, think about how much you wanna spend

then choose wisely
Old 09-27-2013, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skeet
thats not a bad cam they must of designed it around the nitrous the lift could go 621 or 624 across, i'd say this i'm a big fan of the ls3 heads i run them on my 408 and they flow very well but you can get the same effect out of a set of 243/799 heads with lots of port work 11:1 compression is a nice sweet spot and still run pump gas i did it for years on a stock bolted 6.0, just make sure the valvetrain is setup right whichever way you go, personally dont like the stall speed but thats just me im more into the big stalls specially a triple disc cause with the right tuner its easy on the street. either had will give up or gain anywhere in the powerband it all depends on how all the other parts are setup and chosen specially if youre spraying it then i wouldnt worry so much about low end but then again thats just me

what intake you plan on running ?

what header size & exhaust ?

whats it going in ?

lay it out on paper, think about how much you wanna spend

then choose wisely

I was hoping you would chime in. Did you ever run the LS3 heads on the 6.0?

Headers are tsp 1 7/8 fbody headers into mandrel 3" with an xpipe and spintechs in the back.

As for intake was thinkin either hi ram or victor jr. with a 4 barrel throttle body

It's going in a 99 rcsb
Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99s10sbc
I was hoping you would chime in. Did you ever run the LS3 heads on the 6.0?

Headers are tsp 1 7/8 fbody headers into mandrel 3" with an xpipe and spintechs in the back.

As for intake was thinkin either hi ram or victor jr. with a 4 barrel throttle body

It's going in a 99 rcsb

yes i ran the ls3 heads with the hollow and sodium valves, very light, i wouldnt run the l92 valves theyre to heavy specially when you wanna turn around 67-7k rpms . i ended up floating a valve at 7200 rpms they were the prc springs if not mistaken and yes they were double springs.

nice header choice should be fine, that single exhaust or dual though?, i rather have duals., i ran the FAST car style intake and loved it worked very well with my setup, personally i'd like to try the holley mid intake, i run the holley high ram as of now, shooting for 10.xx on motor been 11.0x so far todate. mind you my truck weighs in now at 3950 with me in it.

that 99 rcsb if its the WT package i personally thing you'll achieve your goals pretty easy, i was hitting low 10.3-5 on a 150 hit.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

It's duals exiting together over the axle. I would use hallow stem valves with the prc 250s and probably Manley nextek springs. My truck isn't a wt model it's all electricity still a hopefully going to stay a street truck but I'm sure you know how that goes lol. I will look into the holley mid ram I wasn't aware of that intake thanks for the heads up. Your truck runs great and looking at your build has come a long way. Looks like your real close to the 10.xx mark too will be anxious to see what some cooler weather may do for your times.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99s10sbc
It's duals exiting together over the axle. I would use hallow stem valves with the prc 250s and probably Manley nextek springs. My truck isn't a wt model it's all electricity still a hopefully going to stay a street truck but I'm sure you know how that goes lol. I will look into the holley mid ram I wasn't aware of that intake thanks for the heads up. Your truck runs great and looking at your build has come a long way. Looks like your real close to the 10.xx mark too will be anxious to see what some cooler weather may do for your times.
not sure if the holley mid has a ls3 port intake hadnt never bothered to look them up, either way i never tried the intake but would if it was out before the high ram, being a new intake probably not many reviews but cant see where anyone could go wrong, as for the springs id talk to a builder about springs and let them set up the heads specially if youre getting cnced or port/polished heads this way they can calculate seat pressures opened/closed

thanks for the kind words never really never expected to take the truck as far as i did, i was really happy with the stock lq9 shortblock fully bolted but once i floated the valve and the funds were available it was 408 time, its very stout but sometimes i wish i would have left well enough alone lol!! it is what it is and one day she'll she her full potential i know alot of sponsors are waiting ! shes an easy 9 sec truck the only mod i really have left is the 9" rearend which will be coming soon as of now its just getting some cosmetics done as far as custom gauges and such.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

I looked they don't offer a square port mid ram at this time. And yes I would let a pro set the heads up once I find someone in the Houston area . The heads are cnc ported and the intake runners are 10cc smaller than stock but they flow more than stock ls3 cnc'd heads

Hopefully I can catch you at the track sometime and check your truck out and see a couple runs. How do you like the coil overs up front?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I went 10.6 in an extended cab with 10.6:1 370 with stock l92 heads, Vic jr, 4150 4 barrel throttle body and .060 jets in a nos crossbar plate. Everyone says you lose low end torque. I was cutting 1.61 60' then, now I'm cutting 1.59 60' with a bigger cam.

Quick Reply: crossroads on head selection