Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Custom Grind Cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Grind Cam

I noticed that EAD has custom grind cams for $345. I am trying to decide between the Trailblazer converter and a cam. Which of the two would give the best gains and what cam specs should I get if I order the cam? Mods are in sig and I am looking for more top end.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd do the cam, but keep in context any changes you might make later. Most do camshafts last. Sorta the finishing touch. So if you were to go custom, keep in mind the stall rpm you will use later down the road so that way you can maximize x rpm - y rpm. Also, be clear on any changes you might make.

I can refer you to someone that does custom's w/ Comp lobes.... He's had alot of success putting his theories to ls1 grinds and keeping them driveable, but using specs most would go wide eye'd about.

p.m. me if you are interested.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would it be ok to get a cam designed for a Trailblazer stall and run it on the stock stall until I actually get the new one? I might just save the cam part for later because I know that if I get a cam now designed for what I want later I will decide to upgrade the converter to a higher one down the line and will have to get a new cam.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nightmarechevy
Would it be ok to get a cam designed for a Trailblazer stall and run it on the stock stall until I actually get the new one? I might just save the cam part for later because I know that if I get a cam now designed for what I want later I will decide to upgrade the converter to a higher one down the line and will have to get a new cam.
If you're having trouble picking the stall you want, I'd wait on the camshaft. If you have a custom ground for 3500-6800shift, it wouldn't do any good if you had a 2600TB TQ converter. If you know what you have planned, I'd do the custom cam. It is a good deal. I think it lasts for 2 weeks...

Sorta depends on you. If you flip flop as much as me, I'd do the stall converter first
Old 01-17-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I end up buying the stall first then it will be the Trailblazer, but I know if I get a cam set up for that then when I have the money for the stall I'm gonna end up finding a better one for the same price or something. I do flip flop quite a bit. I guess I'll just wait and spend a little extra later to make sure I get what I want. Thanks for your help!