Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Custom Stainless Duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Yes a Magnaflow 14568. I've got a whole 2lb spool of wire and tank of 75/25 worth of practice done on some regular steel exhaust pipe but need more obviously. Pipe is hard to do. Can't seem to keep the angles right going in circles. It shouldn't look to bad when I get done. So long as it doesn't leak or break I'll consider it a success.
I wanted a TIG but a bit more pricey, I can't weld, and a MIG will do all the other things around the house that may need it
I loved that muffler on my old truck. It sounded insane, plus the polish will last for a very long time, mine lasted over 4 years in the NE weather. You might want to grab another spool, to be on the safe side, you dont want to run out mid run(trust me, it happened to me, running around on a Saturday afternoon trying to find SS wire is not fun, lol).
Yeah, pipe can be hard, your a rookie though, get some practice and you'll be flowing sooner than you think. With pipe if you can do two things at once, roll the pipe as you weld or run down beeds, start at the top and make one run down. You can either weave (either back and forth or small J patterns) or one smooth motion(this is where wire speed is important). As long as you prep the area that you are welding it will be fine. If you notice a leak, drop a nice tack on it.

Where did you get your tubing from? If you need some more let me know, I have a few 90s, 45s and 15s. You shouldnt have an issue with rust, unless you got crappy SS. I get mine from either BurnsStainless.com or StainlessWorks.net and every now and then a local company All Stainless.

Good Luck
keep us posted on your progress.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
So tell me about these DMH's, how well do they seal?
Dunno yet. I've read nothing but good about them.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tig
I loved that muffler on my old truck. It sounded insane, plus the polish will last for a very long time, mine lasted over 4 years in the NE weather. You might want to grab another spool, to be on the safe side, you dont want to run out mid run(trust me, it happened to me, running around on a Saturday afternoon trying to find SS wire is not fun, lol).
Yeah, pipe can be hard, your a rookie though, get some practice and you'll be flowing sooner than you think. With pipe if you can do two things at once, roll the pipe as you weld or run down beeds, start at the top and make one run down. You can either weave (either back and forth or small J patterns) or one smooth motion(this is where wire speed is important). As long as you prep the area that you are welding it will be fine. If you notice a leak, drop a nice tack on it.

Where did you get your tubing from? If you need some more let me know, I have a few 90s, 45s and 15s. You shouldnt have an issue with rust, unless you got crappy SS. I get mine from either BurnsStainless.com or StainlessWorks.net and every now and then a local company All Stainless.

Good Luck
keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks for the tips. I've got a good supply of wire. Home Depot down the road has tons of it.

Got the pipe from a place on E-bay, Mandrel Bends, 409, seems to be okay. I'll have a look at the two you mention. There is NOTHING in way of stainless steel in my area. I tried for 2 weeks to find some back awhile back.

I've got everything in but the DMH units. Might start tomorrow. I'm a bit apprehensive about it. Once I make that first cut the truck is down till I get to the muffler at least.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the corsa is gone huh?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YenkoST
So, the corsa is gone huh?
Yes. I am after every ounce of power for my strip play and a nice mellow rumble otherwise. Can't do it with the Corsa
Old 04-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Thanks for the tips. I've got a good supply of wire. Home Depot down the road has tons of it.

Got the pipe from a place on E-bay, Mandrel Bends, 409, seems to be okay. I'll have a look at the two you mention. There is NOTHING in way of stainless steel in my area. I tried for 2 weeks to find some back awhile back.

I've got everything in but the DMH units. Might start tomorrow. I'm a bit apprehensive about it. Once I make that first cut the truck is down till I get to the muffler at least.
Any time, if you need anything feel free to PM me.

Nice 409, thats great. What kind of finish is on it? Burns is a bit pricey but, the best quality. SWorks is great quality and a little less $$$$.

Dont be nervous. You'll do just fine. That first cut is the hardest, especially if its your daily driver. Make sure your cuts are smooth and the seems meet up consistantly around.
I got faith in you brother.
Good Luck
Old 04-22-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

No turning back now. Spent most of the weekend on it. Got little accomplished. All day today trying to get pipes over the rear end to my liking, since I couldn't work muffler forward till the electric cutouts get here. Never got anything I liked. Good thing it isn't my DD. This is gonna take awhile.

Picture of the finish on the 408 pipe. I'll use band clamps here so I can get the exhaust out when needed.

Waiting on the DMH's before I place these but generally like this should work.

Last edited by KySilverado; 04-22-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty badass man, good Luck
Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what brand of X-pipe are you using??
P.S it looks sweet
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post