Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wannagofast
Also heard something about a megasquirt???
Megasquirt is a do-it-yourself fuel management system. Very quality stuff, except there is not support for coil-on-spark systems (this is supposedly coming out with Megasquirt II). Also, you'd still have to retain your PCM for electronic drivetrain control. Here are a couple of links that might be of interest:

http://www.megasquirt.info
http://www.lt1swap.com (8.1L dropped into a '67 Chevy using Megasquirt)
Old 12-24-2004, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Default Nelson...only way to go.

Originally Posted by wannagofast
ok I hear all you guys talking about a custom tune all of the time. Nelson is the one I hear most. Also heard something about a megasquirt??? As you guys know I'm new at doing all this. I was wondering what realy is a custom tune and where can I get it done? I always thought that Hypertech and the handheld tuners where the only ones. Just would like to know what exacly a custom tune is and where I can get one done because wanna go with a cam next. Thanx
Hey, the OEM software program is a regulated program, that does not want your truck to anything more powerful or better than the way it was made new! Basically, they try to limit what you do and how fast you go. Screw that!!

Allen Nelson is by far the most informative and knowledgeable person I've even contacted about changing the OEM porgram. Not to mention he will take his own personal time with any question or concern you have, not a computer automated message or a "hired" phone operator that reads from s book. The man, is very concerned about "Customer Satisfaction" and that's why he will get all of my business and will have any reccomendation I can give to any person.

Try him.....you won't make a better choice.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:45 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i have had a westers and a nelson's. nelson will do more with the tune than wester will due to wester being conservative.megasquirt is for people that are pushing the limits far beyond the gm pcm. blowers and stroker motors.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

I sent Nelson an E-mail last night. I think I will try and call him some time after cristams. Do you guys know around how much $ will have to be spent?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it might be worth while to look at how many of the folks who have previously had Nelson tune thier truck and are now moving to do it yourself tuning. I have even seen a couple of people mentioning getting someone else to tune for them.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

My experience is if youre gonna leave your truck stock or minor bolt ons
get a mail order tune ...They Rock
And yes the CS was great the first 30 days

I just dont see how a vehicle with extensive mods can be dialed in
without laying a hand on it or some kind of logging done.

I am one of the ones going to the do it yourself programs
and no I dont know all I need to know about it but theres
plenty of help out there
plus the hptuners has logging

my trucks been down since the 15th
and I look like a fool driving my co. provided f150
work truck to all these xmas parties
Old 12-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02denali
nelson will do more with the tune than wester will due to wester being conservative.
Both Wester's and Nelson's will tune as aggressively as you want it tuned. Wester does lean on the conservative side, but if you know exactly what you want, he is more than happy to give you the goods. He hasn't kept his business doing racing engine mods open for 20+ years by being conservative!
Old 12-24-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by briank
Both Wester's and Nelson's will tune as aggressively as you want it tuned. Wester does lean on the conservative side, but if you know exactly what you want, he is more than happy to give you the goods. He hasn't kept his business doing racing engine mods open for 20+ years by being conservative!
I'll second that! Lyndon also took time to spend on the phone with me to answer questions and make suggestions; he's a great guy and my tune rocks!