Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

"Custon Tune" for Whipple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Custon Tune" for Whipple?

Hi everyone. New guy here. I will be installing a Whipple soon on my 03 5.3L Silverado for extra towing power, and have been reading alot about 'custom tunes' rather than using Whipple's electronics.

What is involved, and who does them? Does the ECM get removed and shipped to someone?

Thanks in advance!

Bob
Old 04-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

go to nelson performance. he offers all that is needed including the tune. he's a sponser>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Tribe Shaman

make a call in your local area to the performance shops and find out who does them,
it is better to have it fine tuned in person then doing a mail order.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc
Hi everyone. New guy here. I will be installing a Whipple soon on my 03 5.3L Silverado for extra towing power, and have been reading alot about 'custom tunes' rather than using Whipple's electronics.

What is involved, and who does them? Does the ECM get removed and shipped to someone?

Thanks in advance!

Bob
whats involved normaly is, you get larger injectors ( like the 43lbs marine 8.1 injectors ) so you dont need to use the extra whipple injectors, and u have a tuner like allen nelson ( nelson performance ) and many others to tune your factory ECM to work with the whipple using the larger injectors. although as its already been said, a dyno tune will be better than a mail order so you should check around the local areas if there are any dyno tuners.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hope you haven't already bought the full whipple kit, like I did at first. You can do away with all of their electronics(ie, don't install them), and just go with bigger injectors, (as mentioned before, 43#ers from Arizona speed and marine work nicely), then retune the PCM .They will sell just the hardware, without the electronics, for a lot less. I would suggest purchasing HPtuners software, then inquire on this board to get suggestions from someone as to what to edit in your factory computer. Also, whipple's cold air intake tube causes a serious restriction if you go beyond their factory 4.5-5#boost pulley. Do a search on this board for Ryan something Silverado to get an idea of a good Whipple setup. These twin screws are very good superchargers, but whipple and kenne bell are the only ones licensed to use them, and the kits that they put out are crap without a lot of modifications. You can end up with one hell of a truck, but exercise patience in the process, because as you will see from Ryan's setup, in order to do one right takes a lot of fabrication.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, it is already on it's way to me. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I suppose I will run it as shipped for now, then as I learn a little more about it maybe I will swap out injectors and have Nelson tune it.

I'm not looking for a street machine or a bracket racer, I just want some extra oomph for pulling my travel trailer from home in Colorado to my property in the southern Black Hills. It's kind of a heavy trailer for it's size, and I just hate running it everywhere in third gear at 3000-3200 + rpms all the time.

Thanks again for the replys, I'm sure I will be back when I install it!