Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cut Outs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut Outs

Now before every body yells at me to do a search, I have and for the past 5 months I have been watching every thread that has to deal with Cut outs.
So here is my question. I have heard and read about electric cut-outs failing, Today Rick from Synergy told me about some cut outs that are vacuum controlled. They only open up under boost. What do you guys think about that concept?
Mark
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I DUNNO MARK.... THAT COULD BE COOL, BUT I COULD SEE A SYSTEM LIKE TAHT FAILING, AND WHOS TO SAY AT WHAT BOOST IT WILL OPEN.... EVERY SET OF CUT OUTS I HAVE EVER USED HAVE BEEN CABLE OPERATED.... I HAVE SEEN QUITE A FEW ELECTRONIC UNITS FAIL.

THE BOOST IDEA WOULD BE COOL, BUT WHAT IF IT TAKES 15 PSI BEFORE IT EVEN OPENS.... THEN YOU ARE BOTTLING YOURSELF UP FOR A LARGE PART OF THE RUN.....

NOW IF YOU WANTED TO TRY THE ELECTRIC ONES YOU COULD WIRE UP A PRESSURE SWITCH SO TAHT IT OPENS AT A PRESET BOOST LEVEL

JUST MY .02 FROM ABOUT THE MOST STOCK TRUCK ON HERE
Old 08-06-2007, 06:25 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of cutouts working on vacuum but there's lot's of things I don't know. Rick is pretty cautious to recommend somthing.
If you can disable them so they're not open on the street on boost I'd say give'em a try.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trever1t
I've never heard of cutouts working on vacuum but there's lot's of things I don't know. Rick is pretty cautious to recommend somthing.
If you can disable them so they're not open on the street on boost I'd say give'em a try.

CMON BILL DONT SHOOT DOWN MY OVER ENGINEERED, ALMOST CERTAIN TO FAIL SETUP!!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

find some one that has taken their exhaust off a new Z06..works on basically the same theory..but i think it would be better than electrical motor
Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

IVE SEEN THE ELECTRIC ONES COME OPEN AND STICK OPEN BECAUSE THE CARBON JAMS IT UP.... DEFINITELY NOT COOL ON THE STREETS OF CALIFORNIA
Old 08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trever1t
He has some on an exhaust outside behind his shop,
What brought this up was, if you tune with cut outs closed than your A/F ratio will change when they are open, if you tune for them open and don't run them open your A/f ratio will change, So if you use the vacuum controlled and tune for them it will always be spot on, you won't forget to open or close them.
I didn't want to mention the tuning part because I didn't want to get into a dabate about "if" the A/F ratio would change because I don't know anything about tuning and would have to go by what Rick said.
Mark
Old 08-06-2007, 08:11 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me, I would pass on it. With your big bore and twin turbos spooling as fast as they will.......wow, how loud will it be?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

well it wouldnt be to hard to make them open at a set psi, you would need a controller similar to a progressive alky controller with a 2 bar map to see boost. but the thing is with electric cutouts they dont open very fast so when you shift and drop rpms they wouldnt have time to close and open. cool idea since wot at higher rpms would benefit from them.

and the ones you hear failing are the cheap ones. with the motor and coin your dropping go with some good ones like the dougs if you decide to go with switch operated.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

so they would work like a BOV right since the boost would open them???

Quick Reply: Cut Outs