Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cut Outs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey chase...what are you doing about your tune with the cut-outs?
Here's what I was thinking, but this is all speculation here since I haven't played with my HPtuners as much as I should.
When the Tow/haul button is pushed it changes certain parameters of out tune such as shift points, fans and timing. So I was thinking about reprograming the Tow/Haul button to have a different tune for when the cut-outs were open and when they were closed turn the tow/haul button off for another tune.
After all was said and done and I rework/rewire everything I plan on having my boost controller, cutouts, meth all wired to the tow haul.
When I push tow haul, my cut outs open, my boost controller get's set to high, and activates my meth. When I turn it off and my tune changes back accordingly. Sounds easier than to flippin all the switches that I do now.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 AM
GFYS and STFU

Hey mark, what kind of valve is the cut-out? Is it butterfly, or a Gate valve? Gate valves can take a about 5 seconds or so(mine and chase) but Butterfly can snap open in a split second.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well from what i have seen , the cutouts open dont change my a/f ratio much. maybe .2 avg. but sometimes not even that. but when i run i usually close them to get some more bottom end. i my try opening after i launch to see what happens though.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

spooling,
Tow Haul mode only changes shift points and line pressure, does not change timing, no second tune there.

the cut outs I am talking about are not electrical.

I will decide later, not hard to put them in if I choose to later. I have no idea what this combo is going to sound like, this is a very large cube motor. I will play the wait and see game. Just thought I would get some feed back on these.
Mark
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
spooling,
Tow Haul mode only changes shift points and line pressure, does not change timing, no second tune there.
Awwww... dammit!
What about those cars that have different modes for driving like Sport and City. Does that change the tune or just change tranny and line pressures like you were saying? I'm pretty sure the BMW M6 has a crap load of adjustable tunes as you can go from 400 hp to 500 hp with just changing some options in the idrive system.
My cut-outs have a big effect on my turbo, the way she spools, boosts, and how much she flows so I know definitely that my A/F is changing. I need to hook up my wideband back up.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Spoolin
My cut-outs have a big effect on my turbo, the way she spools, boosts, and how much she flows so I know definitely that my A/F is changing. I need to hook up my wideband back up.
what kind of "BIG EFFECT" good bad?
Mark
Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
GFYS and STFU

Well, my cut out is DIRECTLY behind my turbo...

With the Cut-outs open there is a really big pressure differential across the turbine blades resulting in a fast as **** spool. With the cut-outs closed it will lag a little more since it's not only has to spin the compressor blades but push the exhaust through the restrictive muffler, so it's doing more work and is less efficient.
The muffler that I have is heavily chambered because I wanted an almost stock sound when driving on the street. You can tell there's a lope but it's rather quiet. To get it that quiet it increased the restriction behind he turbo significantly.

Also, it's a good thing that our computers are adaptive learning because when I open or close the cut out I get the really big lope where my idle jumps around from 400rpm's to 1400rpm's when at a stop light. After a minute or so she'll settle down a bit but I think it's the Maf which is recalibrating for a sudden excess of incoming air when the cut-outs are open and it's flowing easier.
All depends on where your gonna place your cutouts and how much piping and type of muffler your gonna use when you do your exhaust.

It's an effect I was prepared for and expected. not good or bad.