Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Damian Ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant say that i noticed any power gains but i have noticed way better throttle response

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Aren't most "bolt-on" mods designed to help your engine move air into, and out of, your engine more efficiently? The answer would be...yes.

Some people buy a drop-in K&N air filter for $65 and swear the truck is faster...
Some people buy an aftermarket air intake tube for $100+ because it smooths and/or straightens the airflow...
Some people spend $300 on a "cold air kit" and swear it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...
Some people spend $5000-$6000+ for a supercharger that compresses and forces more air into their engines for a sizeable horsepower gain...

My questions to the doubters would be...
If making air flow easier into an engine doesn't help free up power, then why do people:
Modify stock airboxes
Run cold air intakes
Run K&N or other high flow air filters
Run LS6 intakes
Why do we bother doing any of these things????

The LS1 car guys seem to do the ported throttle bodies as one of their first mods due to the low price, and positive results. I've never heard one claim that his car felt slower, or had worse throttle response after doing so.

Don't the best running vehicles seem to be owned by the guys who do ALL of the little things...all the little tricks? I'd say more often than not, the answer would be YES.

My LS1 car runs quite well do to me doing all the little things that the doubters claim will/would never work, and is 100% the reason why I bought my present truck with an LS based engine...because I knew it would also respond well to the tricks and little mods that also work on the LS1 (and newer) cars.

I have no dyno numbers from my home ported throttle body, since it was done along with a few other "free" mods, but I can say with 100% certainty that throttle response was noticeably better. Dyno numbers are a joke anyway...I made 322rwhp in my Camaro, and it ran 12.66@107. With small cam and stall converter, it made 344rwhp, yet has run 11.67@115? No matter who does the mathematics, 20rwhp does not equal 1 second quicker and 8mph faster, but I have dyno sheets that "prove it".

We all know that the throttle body spacers, the descreened maf meters, aftermarket air tubes (like Airaid Jr.), and of course the old "Tornado" doesn't do much of anything, but it's baffling to me that guys will spend hundreds of dollars on some of this stuff (and other similar things), for what amounts to no dyno hp, no seat of the pants gains, and nothing but a lighter wallet, and then will be so scared of a $55 mod that's been proven to work, over & over again...

I honestly haven't looked into my truck's throttle body to see if it has the steps, casting marks, and other imperfections that the cars all seem to have. But I do know that I'll be porting my truck's throttle body asap, not for a shot at 5 dyno hp, lol, but for guaranteed improved throttle response, which is what a heavy truck would surely benefit from.

And I'll bet anyone here that I'll FEEL more of a difference from that hour's worth of dremel work than I did from the POS plastic $110 Airaid Jr. intake tube everyone who's bought, seems to love...

BTW, the throttle stop mod that someone referred to is done because the stock throttle bodies' blades do not open a full 90 degrees. Don't believe it? Pop off your intake tube and manually open the throttle...At best, it opens up 70 degrees. This is an obvious restriction...similar to having a Tornado stuffed into the air tube, lol...

nicely said..
Old 09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Dyno numbers are a joke anyway...I made 322rwhp in my Camaro, and it ran 12.66@107. With small cam and stall converter, it made 344rwhp, yet has run 11.67@115? No matter who does the mathematics, 20rwhp does not equal 1 second quicker and 8mph faster, but I have dyno sheets that "prove it".
horsepower isnt the only thing that will lower your 1/4 time. also a stall will take away hp on a dyno but give a huge gain on the strip. just sayin not bein a dick or anything
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took a big poop once and gained .3 tenths at the strip.

my tummy felt better too.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never cared for them personally,but that is just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ported my own and noticed a definite improvement in throttle response, however I can't say anything about rwhp gains. Seems like it smooths out the air coming into the intake manifold, looking at stock vs ported side by side. I think it's worth it for the throttle response, just my 2 cents.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noticed a definite improvement in throttle response
thats the key here guys.i have a shaner ported tb and noticed more throttle response.
By doing this, you may think that you are getting a performance gain by having to use less pedal to achieve the same acceleration, but that is only a perceived performance gain, not an actual one
i quoted that from blackbear's website,and think fits perfectly here.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
horsepower isnt the only thing that will lower your 1/4 time. also a stall will take away hp on a dyno but give a huge gain on the strip. just sayin not bein a dick or anything
My results are solid proof of that...
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys, I noticed a throttle response increase the 1st time I pressed the throttle. But now my TB is wanting to stick shut. No clue why.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually a throttle body that wants to stick shut needs the throttle blade screw opened up a tad. If the blade closes too far, it will stick. Maybe the screw backed off?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ported Tb = Ported Pocket

Quick Reply: Damian Ported TB