Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

damn

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope it does not turn out like my first build...bent Crankshaft from detonation and toasted main bearings.... but seriously...this blows. Good luck Richard.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

You seem pretty calm all things considered. I would be livid.

Definitely looks like bearing material. Not sure how wise it is to drive it 200 miles in that condition though. I get that its your only set of wheels and you need to get it home but is it worth ruining the entire engine?

Whats this about converter lockup causing ballooning causing thrust bearing wear? I thought ballooning was caused by too much power through too weak of a converter causing the housing if you will to expand because of the fluid pressure inside. I don't see how that would have anything to do with TC lockup but I could be wrong too. Mine goes into lockup like its grabbing a 5th gear and its been doing it for 2+ years with no adverse effects. Lockup really shouldn't put any pressure on the crank anyway. Maybe the engine just has some girly man bearings in it.

Maybe its time for a Gen 1 350 swap??? Sorry I had to suggest it.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Convert ballooning pushes against the trans hub and in turn pushes against the flexplate pushing the crank into the thrust bearing eating it up.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Convert ballooning pushes against the trans hub and in turn pushes against the flexplate pushing the crank into the thrust bearing eating it up.
I realize that but it would have to balloon a lot to do that. Usually you can push the converter back about 3/16 of an inch before it bottoms on the hub. It would have to balloon enough to take up the end play then push on the crank. Doesn't seem too likely. Besides that shouldn't have anything to do with lockup like was mentioned earlier.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might be wrong, but if you have fluctuating oil pressure I assume you have more problems than just a thrust bearing.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by oldred95
You seem pretty calm all things considered. I would be livid.

Definitely looks like bearing material. Not sure how wise it is to drive it 200 miles in that condition though. I get that its your only set of wheels and you need to get it home but is it worth ruining the entire engine?

Whats this about converter lockup causing ballooning causing thrust bearing wear? I thought ballooning was caused by too much power through too weak of a converter causing the housing if you will to expand because of the fluid pressure inside. I don't see how that would have anything to do with TC lockup but I could be wrong too. Mine goes into lockup like its grabbing a 5th gear and its been doing it for 2+ years with no adverse effects. Lockup really shouldn't put any pressure on the crank anyway. Maybe the engine just has some girly man bearings in it.

Maybe its time for a Gen 1 350 swap??? Sorry I had to suggest it.
Im a pretty calm person, getting pissed off will not solve anything.

Here is a video I made tonight, besides the obvious rocker noise, can yall hear anything I cant? I have pat gold duals so they are naturally noisy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WV1lkKgxwo
Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Atomic
Im a pretty calm person, getting pissed off will not solve anything.

Here is a video I made tonight, besides the obvious rocker noise, can yall hear anything I cant? I have pat gold duals so they are naturally noisy.
That is true but sitting their stewing only makes me get more pissed off until I explode so its just easier to get it out of the way.

Sounds ok to me. Put some 20w 50 in it and haul *** back home.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

I put 15w40 in this weekend when I cut the old filter open.
Im not stewing, I am exploring my options...

Last edited by Atomic; 10-07-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think you could check your end play with the engine still in the truck. I assume it isnt very accurate, but you could pry back and forth on the balancer. I am not sure if this will work, but it is worth a shot. Just because there is bearing material in the engine does not mean you ruined the engine. I had the same thing happen to me about 200 miles into a completely new engine (new block and everything). I caught it early, cleaned everything, and was able to replace the bearings and rings. Did you check under the valve cover yet? You don't really have to pull it, you could go in the oil fill hole.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Ok that brings up another question. Why the use of 15w 40 anyway? Do you feel the engine is loose enough it needs that heavy of oil? At 205k I'm using Mobil 1 5w 30 in the 95 and it still carries 45 psi hot over 1500 rpms and idles around 20 hot. Gen 3s usually carry very good oil so I can't help but wonder why the thick oil.

Quick Reply: damn