Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Damn, STS kit ain't cheap..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Damn, STS kit ain't cheap..

I just got the latest Performance Parts Catalog and they are selling the STS kit straight up for 4600.00.

What's up with that?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah that bitch was only like 3800.the must know that its catchung on now so its time for them too stick it to us.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mangledgmc03
yeah that bitch was only like 3800.the must know that its catchung on now so its time for them too stick it to us.
The simplicity of the STS also means its easy to copy. The only hard part would be the oiling system the rest of it a good exhaust shop could do. If they are going to raise the price now just to pad the bottom line I say forget them. One of the things that make the STS great is that its $1,000.oo less then a Radix kit, and $2,000.oo less then the Combination Motorsports turbo. But even still building your own remote mount turbo will only be a few thousand. Sorry about getting on a rant.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

That's one thing I don't particularly care for on the STS kit. The oiling system. I want to know how reliable that damn little pump is. Have you ever heard of "coked up" turbo bearings? I priced it out one time and even with buying a really nice oil pump, it would cost about $1750, using one of thier "properly" sized turbos, and assuming you could install the **** yourself.

Anyway, I think it is kind of a rip off, but that's probably because I'm a starving student and I have to be "frugal".
Old 09-15-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of at least one person who is 'rolling their own' rear mount turbo kit, at what I would guess would be significant savings over the STS kit (as long as you don't count the extra research and labor costs ).
Old 09-15-2004, 09:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by moregrip
I just got the latest Performance Parts Catalog and they are selling the STS kit straight up for 4600.00.

What's up with that?
I don't understand that post? Who is Performance Parts? Are they some sort of big volume dealer like Summit?

The STS kit hasn't changed prices... For $4600 it better include injectors and or pump.

As for the oiling. There are 2 pumps STS has, a low volume pump that comes on the base truck kit or a high volume pump. I currently have a low volume but my high volume unit is in the mail. With a high enough volume pump and the MUCH lower temps of the turbo I doubt you'll get much "coking" but time willtell right?

I always see people bitch about a "kit" being a rip off when you can easily make one yourself. To that i say, go for it. Build it yourself and save a million dollars. The fact is, most people either don't have the knowledge nor skill to create their own kit and thus it never happens so all they can do is bitch and be slow. In a few cases I have seen someone actually have the nuts to go for it (slyws6) and good for them. I wish I had the skill and patience to make my own, but alas, I don't and thus I would spend just as much money as I would just buying an off the shelf "kit" hense the reason they are around.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I don't understand that post? Who is Performance Parts? Are they some sort of big volume dealer like Summit?

The STS kit hasn't changed prices... For $4600 it better include injectors and or pump.

As for the oiling. There are 2 pumps STS has, a low volume pump that comes on the base truck kit or a high volume pump. I currently have a low volume but my high volume unit is in the mail. With a high enough volume pump and the MUCH lower temps of the turbo I doubt you'll get much "coking" but time willtell right?

I always see people bitch about a "kit" being a rip off when you can easily make one yourself. To that i say, go for it. Build it yourself and save a million dollars. The fact is, most people either don't have the knowledge nor skill to create their own kit and thus it never happens so all they can do is bitch and be slow. In a few cases I have seen someone actually have the nuts to go for it (slyws6) and good for them. I wish I had the skill and patience to make my own, but alas, I don't and thus I would spend just as much money as I would just buying an off the shelf "kit" hense the reason they are around.
I agree. Performance is expensive no matter what route you take to get there. Pinching pennies is only going to come back and bite you in the ***. Id rather pay a little more up front and have a kit that is gauranteed to work and have some one else to bitch at and take responsibility if things dont go as expected. The STS kit has proven itself as a big contender. Why shouldnt they be near the price of a Radix??
Old 09-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

www.performanceproducts.com

heres a link to the Company for those interested.

BTW. For the Cali boys the catalog said CARB pending.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

For $4,600 - My local dealer will sell the basic kit, upgraded turbo, meth kit, 2-step boost controller, install everything, and take it to TSP and dyno tune it.
If you are serious about the kit then contact STS and have them hook you up with a local dealer. Prices can vary.

There's a lot of little things that go into a kit, and with dealer's getting better pricing, how much do you actually save? I could have made my own cold-air intake. But, alas, I bought a Volant - looks good, performs well, nice fit, no duct-tape, etc. I'm not smart enough to make a turbo kit, have the patience for custom work or the time to do it. I'll save up the money and have the kit installed and dyno-tuned in one day. If I need warranty work I can take off the turbo in 30-45 minutes.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:36 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Cool, thx for the link

Quick Reply: Damn, STS kit ain't cheap..