Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

DBW Throttle Issue: Non-Functioning

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Come Get Some!!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question DBW Throttle Issue: Non-Functioning

Hey guys, I just finished my 5.3/4L60e swap into my '69 C10. My motor is from a wrecked 2004 'Burb with 37k miles on the clock. Everything from the harness to the sensors to the DBW setup is all from the same 'Burb.

The stand alone harness and the PCM editing was all done by Wait4Me Performance. He removed all the emission stuff, VATS, etc.

Okay I finished up the basic stuff to fire the motor a few days ago and it fired up with the first turn of the key. Oil pressure is 50+ psi, no leaks, etc. When I tired to rev it alittle, nothing. Its like the pedal isn't there. I triple checked all connections, still nothing. I don't have an exhaust or front o2 sensors hooked up yet. The oil pressure port is being used for a manual pressure gauge. I've been told these connections shouldn't have anything to do with my DBW operation.

Yesterday I bought a scanner and pulled the codes. It displayed two, P0135 & P0155 which is because I don't have the O2 sensors hooked up. No other codes. I reset the codes and fired it up again, re-scanned, still no codes except the o2's.

By searching the forums I have read that the throttle body is suppose to 'cycle' when the key is turned onto the 'on' position. Mine does nothing, not a noise or movement, doesn't matter if the key is in the 'on' position or actually running, nothing. With the key off I can manually move the TB with my fingers and it opens and closes smoothly.

Last night I had my buddy who owns a 2006 GTO stop by. Since his car is DBW also I wanted to confirm about the tb moving in the 'on' position. I watched it move about a half inch and stop. When running at idle his GTO's tb moves all the time very slightly.

So, what do you guys think? Dead tb? Is it suppose to throw a code if the TB dies? What about the TAC or the pedal, are there codes for them?

Any help is thanked in advance.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure, but could it be in limp mode due to the O2's? Also, do you have the accel pedal from the burb in there?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Come Get Some!!

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'm not sure, but could it be in limp mode due to the O2's? Also, do you have the accel pedal from the burb in there?
Even if that were the case, the o2 sensors aren't in use when the car is off, so it should still 'cycle' the tb when the key is in the 'on' position.

Everything for the swap came from the same 'Burb, including the gas pedal.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Even if that were the case, the o2 sensors aren't in use when the car is off, so it should still 'cycle' the tb when the key is in the 'on' position.

Everything for the swap came from the same 'Burb, including the gas pedal.
the computer will see the open ckt for the o2 sensors as soon as you turn the key on. just find some and plug them in and see if it will cycle.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think it would go into limp mode with no oil pressure switch/sensor hooked up but I could not tell you that would cause the TB to go totally inop. I also would try plugging in the oxygen sensors but also try installing the oil pressure switch/sensor. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are all kinds of codes thrown on the DBW systems. I've bet I've seen them all at some time or another. It's odd that you aren't getting any. Is it possible that the DBW isn't enabled in the tune?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Come Get Some!!

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Is it possible that the DBW isn't enabled in the tune?
That is my exact thought. Otherwise I would think the system would be throwing all sorts of codes, at least 3 for the gas pedal and more for the TAC module, etc.

I have ruled out the TB, TAC module, and the gas pedal. A neighbor who has a 2004 'Burb let me test each of my parts by installing them on his 'Burb one by one by. All of them worked flawlessly on his truck.

So now its either in the harness or the PCM itself.

I bought a milli tester and there is zero voltage coming out of the plug going from the PCM to the TAC module.

I seriously doubt the harness is to blame. I will contact Jesse at Wait4Me Performance in the morning.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Come Get Some!!

Okay, I installed a jumper between the main 12v switched power and the TAC module and sure enough the tb cycles. However when I try and start the engine, it fires right up, then dies.

However, I did get the PCM to throw 2 codes: P0120 and P0220

P0120 - TP System Performance

P0220 - APP Sensor 2 Circuit

So, now what?

Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 12-23-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Is it possible that the DBW isn't enabled in the tune?
I'd be looking in this direction...my guess is that it's in the tune...
Old 12-23-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Okay, I installed a jumper between the main 12v switched power and the TAC module and sure enough the tb cycles. However when I try and start the engine, it fires right up, then dies.

However, I did get the PCM to throw 2 codes: P0120 and P0220

P0120 - TP System Performance

P0220 - APP Sensor 2 Circuit

So, now what?

Thanks guys!!
You know this already but could be a wiring problem. Those are codes for TP voltages 1 and 2not in spec. Above or below ~5v

EDIT:

DTC 220
Circuit Description

The throttle position (TP) sensor 2 is a potentiometer type sensor with three circuits:

* A 5-volt reference circuit
* A low reference circuit
* A signal circuit

The TP sensor is used to determine the throttle plate angle for various engine management systems. The control module provides the TP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit. The TP sensor then provides the control module a signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. TP sensor 1 signal voltage is low at closed throttle and increases as the throttle opens. When the control module detects that the TP sensor 2 signal or TP sensor 5-volt reference voltage is outside the predetermined range, this DTC sets.
Conditions for Running the DTC

* DTCs P1518 or P2108 are not set.
* The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
* The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

* The TP sensor 2 voltage is less than 0.28 volt or greater than 4.60 volts.
* The above condition is present for more than 1 second.

DTC P0120
Circuit Description

The throttle position (TP) sensor 1 is a potentiometer type sensor with three circuits:

* A 5-volt reference circuit
* A low reference circuit
* A signal circuit

The TP sensor is used to determine the throttle plate angle for various engine management systems. The control module provides the TP sensor a 5-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit. The TP sensor then provides the control module a signal voltage proportional to throttle plate movement. TP sensor 1 signal voltage is low at closed throttle and increases as the throttle opens. When the control module detects that the TP sensor 1 signal or TP sensor 5-volt reference voltage is outside the predetermined range, this DTC sets.
Conditions for Running the DTC

* DTCs P1518 or P2108 are not set.
* The ignition switch is in the crank or run position.
* The ignition voltage more than 5.23 volts.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

* The TP sensor 1 signal voltage is less than 0.37 volt or more than 4.51 volts.
* The above condition is present for more than 1 second.

Quick Reply: DBW Throttle Issue: Non-Functioning