Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dealer service guys stumped-HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer service guys stumped-HELP!!!

I know that's not much of a suprise, but I need to get this issue figured out asap.

This is on a 01 C3 with a 6.0 and a whipple sc. It keeps having the ses light come on with codes for the throttle sensor (or related items), which have it with an intermitent low idle problem, sometimes causing the vehicle to stall.

I've recently had the dealer replace the throttle position sensor, and install a new throttle body under warranty, and several months ago had the whole intake off looking for a vacume leak whick we could never find.

After doing some of these, the problem would get better for a few weeks, then return. Engine has been recently gone through for other issues, but this problem is still there.

Any ideas?????? Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:34 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly suspect the Whipple system-it ties in to a lot of stuff and can make the gauges read weird etc. I say take off the Whipple computer (completely) and then swap injectors and get a tune. I would bet money that will solve all ur probs.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

What's the code? Is this a mechanical TB?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a drive by wire tb. I don't have the truck or the codes with me, so I don't remember the exact codes.

I am taking it to an independant shop the end of the week and doing the whippleskip, asm injectors and the nelson tune next week.

I hope like heck that solves these issues once and for all. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Does the drive-by-wire have an IAC valve?
Ryan
Old 07-21-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe I've heard that term from the dealer, and supposedly-it's ok.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bet i know what the Code is P1514 throttle body code
Happens to the corvettes with the throttle by wire setups
P1514 Is a fail safe test for the drive by wire. Its a simple check to insure the driveby wire isnt going haywire.This simply uses the 1514 table and compares it to the actual MAF values. The table is Airflow (Gms/cyl)vs %tps Vs RPM. Common problem on Turbo and SC cars
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Does the drive-by-wire have an IAC valve?
No. The electric throttle body keeps the blade parked open a little instead of having a seperate IAC motor. The PCM still has the IAC tables, but the values are converted to steps (degrees to open the blade). So at idle with no throttle, the TB blade may be open 7 degrees to allow enough air in to idle. The TB also doesn't have a hole in the blade fron the factory like the manual TBs.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

why would the dealer warranty anything on a supercharged truck? was it installed there or something, it hard to recommend any solutions if you dont even know the DTCs or anything.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the "fly by wire" unit acts as the IAC motor also. I've been seeing alot of problems with the fly by wire units causing wierd driveability problems when the throttle blade starts to get a little dirty... but you said they replaced the whole throttle body, and it didn't solve the problem. FYI when you turn the AC on and the idle starts surging about every 15-30 seconds and the computer is receiving the AC request, but not engaging the compressor - it is time to clean out the throttle body with some carb clean (small 3M can is the best). After cleaning it - it smooths right out. I suspect it has to do with the whipple and/or tuning.

Quick Reply: Dealer service guys stumped-HELP!!!