Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Debating between cam, or converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating between cam, or converter

Alright I am looking for a cam to put into my 01 5.3 RCSB. I am about to order my headers, and then going to start looking for a cam. What would you all recommend. I have been looking at the TR220. Or would a 112/114 be good? I dont tow or anything like that, just want to be a decent amount faster.

Or should I get headers, and then buy a converter. And then later on buy a cam?

Thanks for the help in advance
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like cams, but most bang for buck and highest et gains will come from the converter, but consider what cam you want when you order the converter. The TR220 that you referred to has more than proven itself in the 5.3, especially a "blue cajun" rcsb that went into the 12's with that cam and the appropriate tuning
Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are gonna do anything first do the 'verter, but plan it according to what cam you are going to use down the road. Headers will only complement whatever internal mods you do so you can do those whenever
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Custombrew
Or should I get headers, and then buy a converter. And then later on buy a cam?
Since you are looking at the TR220, get the converter installed before (or at the same time) you swap the cam. Don't plan on mixing that cam with a stock converter in a daily driver. Most will advise at least a 3K converter to take nice advantage of it (and maybe even up to 3.6K as you are in a lighter weight RCSB for a daily driver).
Old 01-15-2010, 04:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Z'06
Since you are looking at the TR220, get the converter installed before (or at the same time) you swap the cam. Don't plan on mixing that cam with a stock converter in a daily driver. Most will advise at least a 3K converter to take nice advantage of it (and maybe even up to 3.6K as you are in a lighter weight RCSB for a daily driver).
Yep, I'd recommend a converter in the 3K-3200 range, but you can go higher if you wish, which will help your 60' time. I believe that bluecajun runs a 3600 converter if I'm not mistaken, plus he now has headwork done also...
Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Would i notice it if i got a converter until I went WOT? Sorry I am completely clueless about transmissions.. Would it still be just fine for daily driving?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Custombrew
Would i notice it if i got a converter until I went WOT? Sorry I am completely clueless about transmissions.. Would it still be just fine for daily driving?
It all depends on how tight the converter is, which is affected by a couple of different factors, one of the most important being the converter's size. Something like Circle-D's re-tooled TB converter or a Yank TT3000 will react much like the factory converter under normal part throttle driving conditions, but flash to somewhere around it's advertised stall speed when you mash it. Now a smaller 9.5" converter, with different internals, may require more throttle angle to get moving. Best bet is to talk to the converter manufacturer that you chose and tell them what you want, and they'll let you know your options. I bought my converter from Circle-D and the customer service that I received from Chris was excellent, even months after the sale when I called back with questions, he was more than accommodating. I've heard nothing but good things about Yank also. Both Circle-D and Yank are site sponsors, only Cirlce-D doesn't have a link to the right. If you go to the GM Drivetrain and Suspension section and search "Circle-D", you will find links to their website, including a thread about their new website