Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Decided to go back to stock!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to go back to stock!

Only on my exhaust though . I picked up another OEM muffler and tailpipe from a Tahoe from the exhaust shop I use, it was free. Before you all laugh, I did this because my ears are pretty sensitive to sound. I can only descibe it as this. When you go up in a plane or gain a lot altitude and you feel the pressure build in your ears, you need to them to pop, right!? That's how mine feel most of the time, even now as I type this, my left ear feels that way. The Tahoe exhaust (same on Suburbans and Avalanches I believe) it a nice looking set up, it's a 3" in and out muffler that has dual pipes coming out of it that 'Y' into the single tailpipe. One pipe is the exhaust, it's mandrel bent and looks nice. The other pipe is actually an inlet to a resonation chamber which makes it pretty darn quiet inside my truck which is what I need for my ears. The last Tahoe set up I had on my truck performed as well if not better than the Flowmaster I took off so I don't expect to loose much performance, only sound. If any body is looking for a Magnaflow, it's a single 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet muffler and in good shape. It's really not a loud muffler by any means it's just my ears are so sensitive to sounds and vibrations, at certain rpm's it's buzzes them more than I like. Make me an other, shipping is extra, it's a big mother. The part number is 12588 if you want to look it up.
Jim
Old 06-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Banned

Default Re: Decided to go back to stock!

why a Y out of the single out muffler then two pipes back into another Y out the back pipe? seems like alot of needless restriction....can't be good for performance at all
Old 06-05-2003, 10:51 PM

I guess I didn't descibe it well, it looks like this. The muffler has a single 3" pipe going in, it looks like it has two 3" pipes coming out that 'Y' into a single 3" tailpipe (looks like a dual out muffler but it's not.) One 3" pipe is the exhaust outlet and the other 3" pipe is actually an inlet to a resonation chamber. Does that descibe it better?
Jim
Old 06-06-2003, 01:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Just 3 day ago i started a thread and was interupted,and i didnt get the chance to harasse you about rotating mufflers.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAh.I just knew it was time.To think i was going to ask you the part # of the magnaflow you liked so well.HAHHAHh,I have tried them all too and now i will stick with my OE HD Muff. HAHAHAH,you knew i would do this didnt you Jim?????????
Old 06-06-2003, 03:09 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-06-2003, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

LOL! I wonder how much you have spent *just on labor* for all the muffler swaps that you have done.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:23 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Just 3 day ago i started a thread and was interupted,and i didnt get the chance to harasse you about rotating mufflers.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAh.I just knew it was time.To think i was going to ask you the part # of the magnaflow you liked so well.HAHHAHh,I have tried them all too and now i will stick with my OE HD Muff. HAHAHAH,you knew i would do this didnt you Jim?????????
Yep, I was waiting for you to chime in Gonzo! I remember when I put the Magnaflow on, the first time my wife road in the truck she said "oh God, you made it loud again". We're driving to Colorado in 3 weeks (2K round trip) and I decided to do us both a favor for the trip and put the Tahoe system back on.
Jim

NEIL 6.0! You're right, spent more than a nickle but Mike and Darrel at Meineke consider me family now :p so today will be about $40. I asked them if they had stock options I could buy or a punch card and on my 10th muffler change out the 11th one would be free. Oh ****, it's only money and you can't take it with you, $40 here and $40 there isn't going to bother me.
Jim
Old 06-06-2003, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Now just get yourself an electric cutout! Have the stealth of a stock appearing factory catback and with the flip of a switch a fire breathing monster.

Either way I still like that Magnaflow you recommended to me...
Old 06-06-2003, 03:33 PM

Well, it's done! The exhaust is actually off an 03 Avalanche, not a Tahoe but it looks the same. My inner ears are thanking me big time, much better for me at this point. Ya know, these mufflers have a little burble to them at start up and idle, it's not as loud or as deep as the Magnaflow but it definitly has a burble to it. I can actually hear the exhaust, barely but it's there. Initial driving impressions are throttle response is good but may be off a touch, it's harder tell how much I'm on it from the exhaust note though, much quieter. Overall I'm happy, for now!
Old 06-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, some of the stock mufflers are pretty darn good. My mom's Denali ROARS to life and sounds real nice at idle but, won't make you regret your muffler like some aftermarket setups will.

I like my Magnaflow right now. It really cut down on the resonance in the cab from the flowmasters. One day I might sell it though and do a big Y-pipe with dual electronic cutouts going into a stock catback. Quiet and docile or mean and roudy whenever you want.