Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Denali awd 6.0 Stall question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking on the parts screen right now it shows the number is a 24228708. the damn converter numbers change often enough sometimes you have to look them up every update.

that pro-truck converter may have a 7k tow rating, but we'll see how that holds up over even as little as 30,000 miles under that kind of use.

i agree with you marc_w, alot of the issue is in the programming. there is some in the tcc circut of the trans also. keeping the stall as low as 2600 does certainly increase the chance of the converter lasting longer. the more slippage occuring when the converter is ready to apply the clutch, the more material is removed upon apply. this gets much worse as temperatures and load go up. on the higher stalls the size of the converter often goes down decreasing the fluid capacity overall and decreasing the quantity of the fluid around the converter clutch which in turn decreases the clutch's heat dissapation. i'm not saying it's impossible to run a higher stall and still use what you drive as a truck, it just makes part failure a considerably higher risk.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
i agree with you marc_w, alot of the issue is in the programming. there is some in the tcc circut of the trans also. keeping the stall as low as 2600 does certainly increase the chance of the converter lasting longer. the more slippage occuring when the converter is ready to apply the clutch, the more material is removed upon apply. this gets much worse as temperatures and load go up. on the higher stalls the size of the converter often goes down decreasing the fluid capacity overall and decreasing the quantity of the fluid around the converter clutch which in turn decreases the clutch's heat dissapation. i'm not saying it's impossible to run a higher stall and still use what you drive as a truck, it just makes part failure a considerably higher risk.
Definitely agree with ya...

I forgot about those TCC apply pressures (and other tables) there too... I remember some people having to mod that table after a converter swap for some reason or another. The lockup was real slow and doggy - something like that.

Just putting the info out here...
Old 01-26-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

looking on the parts screen right now it shows the number is a 24228708. the damn converter numbers change often enough sometimes you have to look them up every update.
Zippy, thanks for the info! Is this number for 4wd or 2wd or does it matter? What would the difference be if any being that mine is AWD?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marc_w
Don't tempt me... If I do anything, it'll be a Yank Pro Truck 3000. (7000lb tow rating)

... I've REALLY been tossing around that idea a lot lately.
go for it. you'll love it
Old 01-27-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

So which is the correct part number and how much stall? If this is an original GM part, what was it made that needed that much stall from the factory?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Launching!

They are all correct part numbers but use the one from Zippy as it is most current. The stall is from a Chevy Trailblazer. Should stall to around 2500 or so in a truck.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

or do what i do and go manual.

my foot is the best stall convertor made
Old 01-27-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSilver
or do what i do and go manual.

my foot is the best stall convertor made

that works very nice. when that NV3500 fails you'll enjoy the extra stall of that manual trans...
Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

that works very nice. when that NV3500 fails you'll enjoy the extra stall of that manual trans...
lol again you mean?

i was just stirring the pot
Old 01-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dancar
The truck is much heavier than the camaro and you would see a little more slippage under normal driving with both vehicles having equal stahl speeds due to the resistance in moving it. If you liked the 3200 then you likely wouldn't mind the 3000 in your truck. No question about it, a 3000 yank will nail the TB out of the hole by,maybe, a truck length. I look at the truck as being more of a luxury vehicle than a sports car. For me the 3000 would be a little to much. If it was a camaro I would want more than the 2800.

The tune and cam would cause a little increase in stahl. Others have stated a 2500-2600 stahl with this converter.

WE HAVE BUILD A X-CAB 6.0 4.10 GEARS WITH A TRAILBLAZER CONVERTER AND IT PUTS DOWN SOME MID 1.7 60' TIMES RUNNING MID 12.s ALL MOTOR
THE MORE THE TRUCK WEIGHT AND MORE TQ YOU PUT OUT THE MORE IT WILL STALL A TB CONVERTER IS THE BEST ALL MONEY YOU WILL SPEND. IF YOU ARE DON'T CARE ABOUT SPENDING THE MONEY THEN BUY A YANK IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET SOMETHING GOOD AND WILL WORK THEN GET A TB CONVERTER AND SPEND THE MONEY YOU SAVE ON MORE HP PARTS AND YOU WILL GET THE 1/4 TIMES DOWN

Quick Reply: Denali awd 6.0 Stall question