Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Descreened MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh also im putting a K&N FIPK on it in a few days so i figured that with the smooth intake tube it will be better.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i removed mine and i have noticed a problem with running lean. as far as power, i have never been on a dyno and probably never will. it is just something i did and i will live with it. eitherway, with as many people going to thunder shootout, i am more than willing to swap one for the other to do some track test. if it's even worth it.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:31 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by superchargedchevy02
I have said this many times in here all you have to do is put it on a dyno and prove to me that you gain anything other than potential problems by removing the screen. And don't give me any **** about seat of the pants feeling.

Hey I'm no expert and haven't claimed to be, this was coming straight from a GM powertrain engineer interview when the Z06 came out. I just remenbered it and posted up. Hell, if I remember right they also moved the cats closer to the manifolds and said that even helped with performance...Zed
Old 09-26-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

I removed mine and would do it again. I haven't had a problem yet. Good free mod IMO but definetly the most controversial.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowprocess
Can the computer be tuned for the removal of the screen?
Of course it can.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:08 AM
TECH Resident

We did this on my buddies '96 GMC 5.7 X-cab and it seemed to do good, also did a custom intake job on it too that kicked ***.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by goshawk23
i removed mine and i have noticed a problem with running lean. as far as power, i have never been on a dyno and probably never will. it is just something i did and i will live with it. eitherway, with as many people going to thunder shootout, i am more than willing to swap one for the other to do some track test. if it's even worth it.
This man has just revealed the answer!!!! Lean. Lean. Lean. A lean condition will sometimes make it feel like you had a slight increase in performance. Im no expert but take that screen out, log your truck with AutoTap and look at your LTRMs. Unless you are making ungodly HP number and flowing an ungodly amount of air you dont need to remove the screen. I took the screen out. And I paid for it. Now I have a shiny new MAF in my truck because over time with that screen gone my truck started to run like ***. No offense to anyone, but this question has been asked umteen times on here. Search button anyone????
Old 09-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
This man has just revealed the answer!!!! Lean. Lean. Lean. A lean condition will sometimes make it feel like you had a slight increase in performance. Im no expert but take that screen out, log your truck with AutoTap and look at your LTRMs. Unless you are making ungodly HP number and flowing an ungodly amount of air you dont need to remove the screen. I took the screen out. And I paid for it. Now I have a shiny new MAF in my truck because over time with that screen gone my truck started to run like ***. No offense to anyone, but this question has been asked umteen times on here. Search button anyone????
Well said.

Taking the screen out will reduce the reported load and also give more timing. More timing and less fuel for most people will cause knock. Not to mention that less reported load can cause the transmission to shift weird.

This mod is not worth enough hp to justify the downsides that can happen IMHO.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

yes they gained hp from removal of the screen in the z06. i think it was 5ponies at or above 6000rpm's. and they put it back in in 05.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Lean. Lean. Lean. A lean condition will sometimes make it feel like you had a slight increase in performance.
BS!!! BS!!! BS!!!

I do have the dyno to prove that theory wrong. WITH the MAF DESCREENED my A/F stayed at 12.0:1 and even peaked at 11.6:1 when it hit peak TQ.

Makes it lean my a$$.

And as far as the vette having a straiter intake tube than the truck making it ok to run with no screen is BS also. The shape of the intake tube has NO affect of how the MAF reads because the MAF is BEFORE the tube. It measures the air before it ever enters the tube.

I have descreened EVERY one of the vehicles i've ever had with a MAF and did notice a slight increase in how they rev.

IMO descreening is a good free mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your truck or car messed up when you did it you MUST have touched or broke one of the electrodes. YO BAD!!!!

Quick Reply: Descreened MAF