Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Descreened MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Descreened MAF?

I have a descreened MAF, I have mixed opinions about the power. I remember when I first desreened it I felt quicker throttle response. I don't know if I lost power ,but if I did I will buy a new one. What is everyone's opinion on this?
Old 04-27-2003, 01:23 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Descreened MAF?

All the stuff on the engine that alot of people mod has a purpose.
The MAF sensor has a screen to reduce air turbulence because the air needs to be correctly metered by the wires of the sensor. As airflow through the intake changes(depending on where the RPMs are obviously), so does the places where air swirls around at different speeds in the tube. If the intake tube was straight it wouldn't be needed, look at the Camaro SS for example. The screen on the MAF keeps these values from fluctuating. If fluctuation happens the computer will compensate for fuel, but at the expense of constant adjustment to the "learned or long-term fuel trim" and "short-term", giving you poor idle quality and reduced fuel economy. Yes, the screen hinders airflow somewhat, but I would think removing it affects the health of your engine. I left the screen on my truck on.
I have heard that a de-screened or GMS MAF is bad with superchargers. I don't know much about forced induction so I couldn't help you in that dept. regarding MAF...
Of course, this info is just bits and pieces of info I put together from reading many people's experiences. Someone please confirm?
Old 04-27-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

You are right Chingon but there is still a point to do the descreen...

From what basics I understand the computer thinks its flowing more are thus riching the fuel mixture this givn u alittle more umph...

Its not like that little screen is gonna let that much more air in...
Old 04-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

when I descreened my maf I gained 2* of timing at wot. Granted I am really low on the timing to begin with
Old 04-28-2003, 06:03 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

You are right Chingon but there is still a point to do the descreen...

From what basics I understand the computer thinks its flowing more are thus riching the fuel mixture this givn u alittle more umph...

Its not like that little screen is gonna let that much more air in...
I've heard varying results from people ranging from, "I felt a little more power" to "Now I have to buy a new MAF." Do you honestly think these guys who supposedly "gained" HP would have been able to tell a difference if someone secretly descreened their MAF without their knowing? Or is it just psychological?

There may be a "point" to doing the descreen, but I don't believe that the minute amount of HP that you MIGHT gain, not to mention the risk of harming your engine, justifies descreening the MAF. This applies especially to stock engines. You can only free up more HP if its there in the first place. I would do it if I had LS1Edit or soemthing to be able to play with the tuning.
Of course, you can do whatever you want to your truck.
Just my $0.02
Old 04-28-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

well those Italian MAF are descreened.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

If you're really careful, you can pop the screen out with little to no damage, and if you don't like it, just pop it back in. I do not plan on putting mine back in though. Smoke ur 5.0 if you're reading this, the MAF would make a good dyno experiment.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're really careful, you can pop the screen out with little to no damage, and if you don't like it, just pop it back in. I do not plan on putting mine back in though. Smoke ur 5.0 if you're reading this, the MAF would make a good dyno experiment.
Smoke ur 5.0 did gain power on the dyno if I remember. I have E-fans and my air-intake is a very straight line and I feel like a beter man for having done the mod
Old 04-29-2003, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah me too. I have a PVC pipe intake and a cone filter, so the air flow should be exactly the same all thru the pipe, unlike some of the premade kits which have bends or don't use a cone filter. (I hope that made sense.