Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Descreening the MAF

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on my 5th pickup that I have removed, and have never had an issue with anything. No codes, no running issues nothing. I agree with the above. Anything in the path of air can cause a restriction. If you were to collapse that screen, you would see how much mass it takes up in that hole. You would be amazed. At idle, it probably does hurt the engine a little because there is very little air moving through.

I have never dynoed before and after, so I can't say that it helps or hurts. I can't imagine it helping a great deal, but if I can ease the air intake even if a little, than it makes sense to me to do it. Especially when it doesn't cost anything.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
and anything in the path of airflow is a restiction.

yes...okay okay. Still not much worth battling over in a thread.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copied from a post I made in regards to Larger MAFs. This is industry truth, not just "Oh, I tried it and it worked for me" hearsay.

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Some facts about MAFs:

Topic - SLP/PACE/larger MAFs cause tuning issues.
False - If the MAF Table is properly tuned, and the tune is done properly, you will not have any issues with larger MAFs.

Topic - SLP/JEGS MAFs are calibrated to LS1.
True - Those places add a resitor to alter the frequency signal the ECM uses to calculate airflow. This can also be accomplished by a proper tune.

Topic - Descreen MAF for more power.
Plausible - It will make the vehicle run leaner and more inconsistent, since the airflow is no longer laminar and predictable. If you do this, you will need to get the MAF Table recalibrated.

Topic - Screen is not needed
False - the screen is there to smooth out the airflow and make airflow (actually fuel) calculations more consistent and predictable. Without it the airflow can be very turbulant during hard throttle transitions.

Also, when the MAF is active (this is for you auto guys), it uses the MAF signal to calculate delivered torque. It uses this data for torque management and transmission line pressure requirements. So if you mearly swap out the MAF for a larger unit, without tuning ... you will be affecting the line pressure the ECM will be commanding, and consequently ruin your trans. It is imperrative to get a tune if you decide to swap in a larger MAF unit, regardless of being calibrate for you vehicle or not. The benefit of a larger MAF is increased airflow (like a lid), but more so then a lid it needs to be recalibrated, since the ECM uses it for many airflow and torque calculations.

To summarize: If you alter anything with the MAF, you need to get it recalibrated for proper ECM operation and durability, or drivetrain operation.

Hope that helps!