Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Desired Shift time...LS1Edit Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desired Shift time...LS1Edit Question

The table for the desired shift time. Some of these values are most a half of a second in time that it takes to shift? Someone had said in another thread that its bad to set them to full 0.000, is there a reason for this? I got to comparing the 'performance mode' from the Y and F cars and all of their desired times in that catagory are set to full 0.000 but at the same time all of the MPH's are 255, so do they even go into that mode? Just wondering if it would be ok to taper the shift times down to around 0.200, then say after 75% throttle just set them at 0.000

Also after changing the base line pressure to the same that it is in the Tow/Haul mode, increasing shift points and lowering the shift times ever so slightly there still seems to be a huge gap in the 1-2 shift. I take it this will have to be cured with the Vette or Billet servo's and a shift kit? Just wondering how the F and Y cars shift so much better yet are not that different, are they?
Old 11-20-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I remember right .. the flash MagnaCharger included with the blower had them all set at .2. If you set them to 0 the gears will try and slam together when they shift. It causes a harsh shift that's bad for the tranny. I wouldn't go passed .1 with our trucks. That's still pretty quick.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:36 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine zeroed out since I got edit early this year. Couldn't really tell a difference in the way it behaves and haven't had any probs.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Currently all TQ management is gone, on it. But I have heard a few rumors about putting in like 25-50% of it depending on how it likes it to speed up the shifts somewhat. I think I might just set all of the times to 0.200 and put 25% TQM back in it on the upshifts to see if that will help it out some.

I didn't notice really any change in the speed of the shifts when it was set to near zero execpt for lower speed driving, then it was sped up a bit. But under WOT, the 1-2 shift just takes forever and a day.

I'm really not to much of an auto guy but seeing how you can't get a stick with the 5.3s in these I was kinda out of luck.

Just had the tranny fluid flushed today to make sure I wasn't overheating it. Came out almost like new after 30k.

Does anyone know what all the differences are between the 4L60E's? One other question. There is another table....Solinoid vs temp vs pressure or something like that. Someone said the lower those numbers are the stronger the shift force? If that is also true they have lower numbers on the trucks compared to the cars so wouldn't that also make it shift a little quicker?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

difference in the 4l60 versus what?

About that table in question, that's a highly technical (throw you off basis) name for line pressure. You don't wanna raise line presure to much because it will take away lubricating abilities of the tranny fluid. It is better to use a shift kit to raise line pressure, but lots of people use EDIT.

Reason the table seems to be backwards is becuase you are actually lowering the voltage to the pressure regulator. The lower the voltage the regulator sees, the higher the pressure, the higher the voltage, the lower the pressure.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Difference between the truck 4L60, F car 4L60, and Y car 4L60. The only one that I have heard anyone talk about is the servo valve.

I have tables for stock Y, F car, and trucks in Edit, and like I said those values in that table are higher...thus would lower the pressure in the trannies of the cars vs. the trucks. Yet they still shift faster and harder. Thats why I was trying to figure out why it still seems so slow in shifting.

The only things like I said that I have messed with are, TQM, shift points, base line pressure (just copied the T/H mode), rpm, and speed limiters. Before I went digging into the other stuff I want to make sure I get this part of it set up how I want to and become a little more familar with all of the workings in Edit first.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

From my understanding setting the 'desired shift time' table to zero will allow the trans to shift as quick as it possibly can. I also noticed that this table was set to zero on a buddies WS6. I originally had mine zeroed out up top but have now zeroed the entire table and have had no inverse results. If you dont already have a vette servo, I would recomend one. That may take care of the gap on the 1-2 you are asking about.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've set mine to .12 and turned down the tqm to about 11% of what it was the truck runs great and I would err on the side of longevity. I would go to the track and see if you get any better et's by shortening the shift time otherwise I would leave some time there.