Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

DEX COOL bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEX COOL bad?

I heard dex cool is bad for the seals and anything
rubber in our engines and that it will disintegrate over
time
and that it would be fine to flush out and use regular
antifreeze
is there any truth to this?
and what makes dex cool different?

I heard this from advance and autozone
and they had dex in stock
Old 10-26-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gamedawgx53
I heard dex cool is bad for the seals and anything
rubber in our engines and that it will disintegrate over
time
and that it would be fine to flush out and use regular
antifreeze
is there any truth to this?
and what makes dex cool different?

I heard this from advance and autozone
and they had dex in stock
If they're anything like the guys that work at our local advance and autozone, pimp slap them and tell them they're stupid. Remember, these are the guys that sell wings,fart cannons, and underbody lights to Ricers. They are the ones to blame(along with Paul Walker and Vin Diesel). I have heard nothing bad about Dex cool, but I have heard it is the only thing we can run, so I'm staying with it.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the green (regular) stuff will screw things up although I've heard some bad stuff about the Dexcool too. I think people were blaming it for leaks in/around the intake manifold. Think I read that stuff on some of those sites where people were complaining about piston slap.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowprocess
If they're anything like the guys that work at our local advance and autozone, pimp slap them and tell them they're stupid. Remember, these are the guys that sell wings,fart cannons, and underbody lights to Ricers. They are the ones to blame(along with Paul Walker and Vin Diesel). I have heard nothing bad about Dex cool, but I have heard it is the only thing we can run, so I'm staying with it.

yeah I can agree with that
gotta keep yo pimp hand strong...
seems like if there was a problem with it
you would see it on here 1st
never hurts to ask though
Old 10-26-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gamedawgx53
yeah I can agree with that
gotta keep yo pimp hand strong...
seems like if there was a problem with it
you would see it on here 1st
never hurts to ask though
Definately doesn't hurt to ask. I check every single post that comes up in this section. I like to keep up with any problems or questions. This is the site to rule all sites!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dex cool is really only bad when improperly used. On the 1st gen vortec's there is a problem with it because the cooling system is not completly closed like the newer ones are and it causes a problem with contamination. On the newer ones the only time you will run into problems is if 1 you have a bad radiator cap (can cause air contamination but not really toooo likely) 2 going past the recomended change of the fluid and 3 THE MOST IMPORTANT if you use anything besides distilled water, if you use faucet water you will have problems and the dexcool will want to gel and get this nasty buil up crap... so with dexcool you have to use distilled water, that is the biggest problem people have with this coolant is using tap water
Old 10-27-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowprocess
Old 10-27-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DexCool becomes corrosive if concentrated. A small leak can create this situation. If, for example, a head gasket has a very slow leak the water content of the coolant mixture will quickly evaporate leaving behind a red powdery residue. When this residue is even slightly moistened, as it would be with a continuous slow leak, it's acidic enough to etch aluminum. All the problem with Dexcool can be linked to exposing it to air. *edit* or impurities!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:59 AM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcfast
Dex cool is really only bad when improperly used. On the 1st gen vortec's there is a problem with it because the cooling system is not completly closed like the newer ones are and it causes a problem with contamination. On the newer ones the only time you will run into problems is if 1 you have a bad radiator cap (can cause air contamination but not really toooo likely) 2 going past the recomended change of the fluid and 3 THE MOST IMPORTANT if you use anything besides distilled water, if you use faucet water you will have problems and the dexcool will want to gel and get this nasty buil up crap... so with dexcool you have to use distilled water, that is the biggest problem people have with this coolant is using tap water
Damn i didnot know about the tap water....looks like im flushing my system out tommorow....
Old 10-27-2004, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default DeathCool

We had a 1996 Blazer with a 4.3 motor and @ 20k miles the deathcool solidified locking up the water pump, cracking the thermostat housing and ruined the radiator beyond repair.

I will not run it again in anything.

Quick Reply: DEX COOL bad?