Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Diablo Predator tips and tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo Predator tips and tricks?

Ok, I just got done putting the Diablo Predator into the truck. The install was very easy and pain free. I read the instructions twice and just used the tune it function.

Now, what are the tips and tricks for more power and better shift points, "without doing damage to the motor or tranny"? Also I found the top speed limiter function and I want to take it as high as I can, how do I do this? It really does not say anywhere in the directions.

Thanks in advance and I will say, for what I paid for this I am rather happy with it so far. It did make a difference from the factory settings.

I will be going to the track Wednesday and testing this thing out there.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:11 AM

When I had my Silverado and Predator, I had the shift speed set at -25% for the quickest shift and the firmness I had a +25% for the firmest shift. Put the top speed to what ever your tires are rated at for safety, don't need to blow them by going faster than they are rated at. I had my shift points raised to about 5950 for each gear, I wanted to keep the rpm's under 6K. For the MPH set point for each gear, you'll need to figure out at what speed each gear shifts at stock, my 1-2 shift occured at 5600 rpms and 39 mph, my 2-3 shift occured at 5200 rpms and 72 mph, this was stock. When I was done, the 1-2 shift occured at 5950 rpms and 42 mph, the 2-3 shift occured at 5950 rpms and 83 mph with the Predator settings. My Silverado was a 2000 and had 3.73 gears, newer trucks may shift at different points so you'll need to check that out. I didn't do much with the spark and fuel enrichment settings.
Y2K
Old 09-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Cool, I want to try and change the shift pressures first. I just don't want to do any damage to the tranny.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by bullet3z
Cool, I want to try and change the shift pressures first. I just don't want to do any damage to the tranny.
I don't think you will, I was afraid of that at first too. The Tow/Haul mode on the trans shifted harder than the Predator settings in my opinion. I maxed out the shift firmness and speed in the normal mode and in the performance mode (when the Tow/Haul is on) I left the shift settings alone. The combination of the Tow/Haul firm shift and the Predator firm shift was to much, I thought it would break something. All other settings I made the same, shift points, etc in both modes. As far as the spark settings, use the "Live Data" mode to check the KR while you're driving. If you don't have any KR, increase the spark some and recheck. When you start to get some KR, than back it off some.
Y2K