Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Diagnose my tick!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:23 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Diagnose my tick!

I have a tick that has shown up on the driver's side of the motor, was pretty quiet for a few days after the pushrod/rocker/spring install. It ticks really loud at first startup, then tones down after a few seconds but is still loud enough that I can he4ar it inside the cab when diriving with the windows up and radio off. I think it might be giving me false knock as well. KR at part throttle is very noticeable to me even when I'm not logging...I can just feel it happen. What do you think....lifter? Loose rocker? I followed the rocker install instructions to a T and only have this one tick. Throw out some scenarios....if it's a lifter, what do I do to fix it? If it's XXX what do I do to fix it?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:33 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on the "sound" I know my old truck with the 918's had a nice tick in it.....any way to get some audio?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:27 PM
High on diesel fumes

OK here's a vid...Quicktime, 9.3 mb

This was a cold start, so the ticking is louder than normal, but you can hear it really well in the video.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I can hear through my crapass speakers, it sound like a loose rocker or lifter type noise. Actually, my truck makes a similar noise, in the same area, but yours sounds a little louder. I still haven't narrowed my noise down, and I've rechecked the rockers a few times, and replaced rockers and valvesprings and the noise hasn't changed.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck makes that noise every now and then too, though non nearly as loud.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that knock is very sharp not muffled I would retorque the rockerarm studs 22ftlbs. put some locktight on em if you havent already. When youve got the rockerarms off Id inspect the contact patch look for dents anything. Also if its a rockerarm hitting the valvecover youll see scratches. look for abnormal marks on the contact of the valve stem its not unheard of to loose bearings in some of the rocker arms itd be sliding off the side of the valve stem onto a retainer.

did you let the lifters bleed down fully before you installed the rockerarms, if not that could be the problem.

Otherwise I think its a lifter not pumping up stick a ear piece on the side of the engine to narrow down where the sound is coming from.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

I did let the lifters bleed down...that was part of the Vinci install instructions that were so detailed. I followed them exactly and it was perfect when I first got it running. It is getting progressively louder though, so I am thinking that something is going to give it up sooner or later. I need to open the valve cover back up and check everything out. Since I already did the lifter bleed down, can I just re-torque everything to 22 ft lbs or do I have to go through the whole process again if I remove the rockers?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re-torque.... Spin the motor over by hand a couple times and re-torque again.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

sounds like a loose or broke rocker to me, let us know how it turns out
Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

The noise sounds like a lifter. I have the same noise on my passenger side. Re-torque rockers, did everything. The noise could also be a bent pushrod, but since you have hardened, it's most likely not. I've been driving about 2 months with my bad lifter(s). I don't have the time or money to pull the head and get new lifters....

Quick Reply: Diagnose my tick!