Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Did a cam swap on AP2002's truck this weekend and had a weird thing happened

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:12 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did a cam swap on AP2002's truck this weekend and had a weird thing happened

Ok so AP had a 212/218 in his truck and wanted the 220 that he got a good deal on in his truck and I was down in Houston so I did the swap for him. I got the whole thing broke down pushrods out spun the cam and used the penmagnets on the lifters. Well when you spin the cam the lifters should stay up right? Yes. Well they were but werent acting like it. The #6 exhaust lifter's pen magnet it kept on wiggling like the lifter was moving when I would spin the cam. I thought that a lifter wasnt going up all the way for some reason. I have done a few other cam swaps before this one and never had soemthing like this happen. So I get ahold of Kevin(v8) and he says to spin the cam with the pushrods in and none of the lifters fall including the one in question. So I pulled all of the pushords off spin the cam a few times and go to pull the cam. Well I start to pull it out and the first journal on the cam is about 3/4s out of the first cam bearing and it gets stuck like a lifter was holding it back or something or like when a lobe gets stuck on a cam bearing and you have to spin it. Well keep in mind all the cam journals are still sitting on bearings and all the lifters ARE up. So what is grabbing it and not wanting to let it go ahead and pop out of the cam bearings and and continue spinning it to get the cam all the way out? I cant figure out for the life of me what it was. The cam came out fine after I spun it a little bit more and brought it out as usual. I put the new cam in put the hardened pushrods in and pushed them down to make sure I didnt lose a lifter and I didnt. So my million dollar question is "WHAT WAS CATCHING THE CAM TO NOT LET IT COME ON OUT OF THE CAM BEARINGS?" I dont have a clue. I dont understand why that one lifter was acting like it was hitting a cam lobe yet it wasnt and why the cam didnt want ot go ahead and come out even though all five cam journals were still sitting a 1/4 of the way on a cam bearing. There was nothing there to stop it from coming out the lifters were up obviously but yet I had to spin the cam in order for it to even come come off the bearing. Sorry for the long post but it is bothering me as to what happened and I like to figure out why things do what they do and this one has me stumped. Any ideas from those who have any experience with doing their own work?

Oh and now APs thinkin about going even bigger
Old 02-26-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would tell you but I dont know???? by the way, good job Cody!
Old 02-26-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that happen on mine when I did my heads/cam swap....and my lifters were sitting on a towel beside the truck!!! I never did figure out what the problem was but it just seemed to "stick" about 3/4" out of the block until I spun the cam a couple of times and then it came right out......the new cam went right in without issue though
Old 02-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah when I put the "new" cam in it went in with no problems just couldnt figure out what the hell was going on even though I knew the lifters were up it was like the cam swap snagged on something
Old 02-26-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

I like to blame things like that on the "ghost in the machine"......
Old 02-26-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Yelo
I like to blame things like that on the "ghost in the machine"......

sounds like too much....

Old 02-26-2006, 08:16 AM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

well I'm glad you got it done, now you need to get it retuned and back to the track, and you can call me anytime you guys need.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

When the journals are not resting on the bearings the cam can drop down some. Is it possible you were hanging a lobe on a cam bearing? If you don't keep it perfectly straight, which is nearly impossible, it can happen. The only thing it could be, IMO.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by v8
well I'm glad you got it done, now you need to get it retuned and back to the track, and you can call me anytime you guys need.

we got you on speed dial!! lol
Old 02-26-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ap2002
sounds like too much....

possibly...........

Quick Reply: Did a cam swap on AP2002's truck this weekend and had a weird thing happened