Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Did a cam swap on AP2002's truck this weekend and had a weird thing happened

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BenKey
When the journals are not resting on the bearings the cam can drop down some. Is it possible you were hanging a lobe on a cam bearing? If you don't keep it perfectly straight, which is nearly impossible, it can happen. The only thing it could be, IMO.
Well when this happened when it felt like it was hung all the cam journals were still on the cam bearings a 1/4 of the way.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2002
sounds like too much....

And alot of , and last but not least off!! LOL!!! Glad to see nothing major happened. Now u can do mine in a couple of months. HEHE!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ap2002
I would tell you but I dont know???? by the way, good job Cody!
does he work for beer?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:23 PM

No not anymore if Im doing the job then Im going to get paid for it beer doesnt pay my rent I will take beer as a tip though
Old 02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

URRRR going to charge me??? That sucks!!!! How much do you charge??? Do you charge by the hour or job??? Well at anyrate, I'll prolly do it myself. You can come over to the house and you can watch while your drinking my beer...sounds good?? Call me. Or I'll call you in 10min....
Old 02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Well when this happened when it felt like it was hung all the cam journals were still on the cam bearings a 1/4 of the way.
Maybe the cam bearing are slightly worn. Even just a little could have made the cam stick a bit coming out.
Everything wears in time. Has anyone ever had the cam bearings replaced during a cam swap?
How long do they last anyways?

Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 09:14 PM

You cant replace cam bearings while the motor is in. You will drop cam bearings into the bottom end when you tap them out. There is no need to replace them IMO cam bearings are extremeley tough bearings and are made to take cam lobes banging on it for cam swaps etc.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are not made to take it, however they may resist damage from swaps. Bang one up and you'll find out just how tough they are not - especially stock bearings. I learned the hard way there. Mine went after 3 cam changes and I didn't think I beat them up that bad and took my time. I would believe it if it were like a durabond bearing. As it is stock cam bearings will have brass already showing in a new block - replaced the stock ones in my new block for that reason.

Not that I think that was your issue. The oil pressure will give it away if it was.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

They are not made to take it, however they may resist damage from swaps. Bang one up and you'll find out just how tough they are not - especially stock bearings. I learned the hard way there. Mine went after 3 cam changes and I didn't think I beat them up that bad and took my time. I would believe it if it were like a durabond bearing. As it is stock cam bearings will have brass already showing in a new block - replaced the stock ones in my new block for that reason.

Not that I think that was your issue. The oil pressure will give it away if it was.
Your sig looks nice! Wish I had that kind of money to just place in my truck. Or the time for that matter. Money's got to go toward the new upcoming toys.
Boat & House!
Still getting the S/C, but don't want to spend too much money on things I really don't have to have.

Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Didnt necessarily mean you can beat them to hell and they will last by any means. Just saying they are tough for a bearing unlike main bearings which cant be dinged at all. Oil pressure on the motor is fine. I have durabonds in my motor

Quick Reply: Did a cam swap on AP2002's truck this weekend and had a weird thing happened