Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

did yank miss the mark with my stall? converter questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 05:12 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default did yank miss the mark with my stall? converter questions

i put this exact post in the tranny section and prety much got no responce

i ordered a stall from yank for my set up. told them that for now i would be running a 6.0 with nitrous and later up it to a 409 with a bigger power adder.

here is a quote from their page on the converter i ordered, the proyank3400E

"Power adders place special demands on converters. It is important for a converter to have adequate "holding power" while at the same time, placing the motor in a higher power band through increased stall. The Pro Yank converters give you the best of both! First, each Pro Yank is custom built around "your" power adder. The stall speeds are rated for use with power adders and will therefore, be right where you need it to be. Next, the Posi lock-up clutch will bring efficiency close to 100% by locking-up under load. Finally, the clutch materials are built to take the higher demands of running on the "juice". The Pro Yank Extremes use the exotic Kevlar linings."

sounds prety good so far huh, well when i hit it out of the hole with a 150shot i go strait to 4600-4700rpm, i have my shifts set at 5500 and the rpm drop into 2nd is only to 4800. what am i going to stall to when i go with a H+C 409 with about 400hp worth of power adder?

here are some recent dyno numbers

4400rpm 450tq <<lowest reading i got, should have sprayed sooner
4500 438
4600 426
4700 416
4800 412
4900 399
5000 392
5100 381
5200 375
5300 358
5400 352
5500 342

i plan on shifting it a little higher, 5800 or so, that would probably put my drop down rpm to around 5000rpm, looks to me like i would gain some ET if i locked up the converter right after the 1-2shift? i am looking at this corectly? can the converter really take WOT lockups? did yank mess up with the stall or am i missing something.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
single digit dreamer

i did talk to yank today, i am no converter expert but either i understand nothing about how everything works or the guy was talking jiberish.

first thing he told me was he built the converter for the 409 that i have planed later and that it would have less torque so the converter wouldn't flash as high as it does now. , i see no way i will have less torque and the stall will most like go higher with a 409(i would think, could i be wrong?)

then i asked about a larger power adder i have planed and he said people dont usualy spray over a 150shot out of the hole, usualy stage it , well i suppose most dont but i will, stall will even go higher the way i see it.

now here is the important part, the part i thought i understood and actualy feel like i could be wrong about. i always thought you used the tq numbers to figure out your shift points and desired stall speed, he told me horse power is important too. with the stall the way it is i "blow" right thru the max torque and never do get to see it but i am right around my max hp. wich do i want to be near?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:27 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

You may not be making enough RPM. If it really stalls to 4600-4800 and you only shift 1000 rpms higher, the shift extension will just go back to the 4800 stall speed. If you shifted at 6300, it may shift all the way back down to 4800, or 1500 rpms.

I think its stalled too high. A major benefit of the big turbo you are getting is the awesome torque. I think you are stalled past peak torque. With this stall, it doesn't matter how much torque or power you make below, you are only really using the power you make at 4800+. Thats OK if you are wanting to spin high and make gobs of power high. That 409 torque would be wasted. You could make as much power with heads and a BIG cam, and just forget about the low torque since its not useable.

I don't think you want to lock it during shifts. If so, your rpms would drop way down. But, you'd get to take advantage of the torque if you did.

Lock it with Edit or EFI live and see how far down the shifts extend.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:34 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Looks like we are thinking the same thing. You are losing the benefits of the big nitrous torque increase. I bet your 60' times aren't any better with this new lighter truck than the old heavy dog. Am I right? Your converter is stalled too high. You need to do something about it.

Originally Posted by parish8
i see no way i will have less torque and the stall will most like go higher with a 409(i would think, could i be wrong?)
That 409 IS torque. You'll make so much more power down low, it should feel like you are spraying when you aren't. Take a look at any stroker dyno. Those things hit 400 ft pounds by 3000 rpms. Throw spray or big boost at it, and you'll double the torque your converter isseeing now.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Strait from Yanks FAQ page... "Typically, you want to choose a torque converter with a stall speed 500-700 rpms below the engine's torque peak. For example, an engine making peak torque at 4500 rpms, a 3800-4000 converter would give maximum ET." So if you are stalling past you peak torque, you are loosing the benifit your converter is supposed to give you... Torque Multiplication. 4700 is a LOT of stall and is way too much unless you have a h/c package making a lot of high end with no low end what so ever. I personally think you have too much stall. Just my $.02.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with what BigKid said. That is a shitload of converter for a truck, for anything for that matter. I completely disagree with the 409 will make less torque. That sounds retarded.

Who did you talk to at Yank? It seems Mike is the one to talk to there. That's what I got from reading the tranny forum anyways.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:54 PM
single digit dreamer

why is it i posted this in the tranny section a couple of days ago and got no responce and in here i get great helpfull replies in no time at all. this is what i see with most of my posts in other sections, seems like the best info comes from right in here

the line "Typically, you want to choose a torque converter with a stall speed 500-700 rpms below the engine's torque peak. For example, an engine making peak torque at 4500 rpms, a 3800-4000 converter would give maximum ET."

prety much says it all huh, the guy on the phone was either talking out his *** or trying to cover his *** , he should have fessed right up. i told him my torque peek is at 4200 today and he tried to make me belive there was nothing wrong.

i had alot more power with my last truck so it is hard to campare to but check these numbers out.
4.8, 100shot, no stall...1.8's
6.0, no nitrous, stall...2.0's
6.0, 150shot, stall...1.7's

i gained .1 in my 60' with a 6.0, stall and another 50worth of nitrous.

what got me started on all this was a post i saw on another site where a guy was talking about "blowing thru the stall" with a turbo regal. said that alot of those guys go too big on the stall and miss out on all the torque and that he has seen more than one car gain .1-.2 by just locking the converter in 2nd gear. he also said i will gain "everywhere" with a stall that actualy stalls to 3400.

yank really missed the mark and just doesn't want to admit it i think. looks like i get to pull my tranny again, i am geting really good at that project
Old 01-14-2004, 07:07 PM
single digit dreamer

here is a log from a nitrous run, i have several problems here, one is that LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG lean spike, lots of knock, the other is the stall rpm, there is virtualy no wheel spin going on here, you tell me, what is my stall?

ok, got a better pic, look at the line and the rpm reading on the left

Old 01-14-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks to be just over 4k to me ... I think that would be to much for a truck anyways, to much weight to get moving.

Just for my understanding ... where are you seeing a lean spike?

I've had the same impressions about the tranny forum. I have had some good info come out of Internal Engine though, but it has so much traffic in there, that someone HAS to answer.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

The tranny forum is good if you are asking what company to get a rebuilt 4L60E from. I knnow I asked a question about the 700R4 in my hudson and got no answer.

And Parish, if your stalling at a little more than 4000 now, imagine how much higher it will be with a torbo and nitrous.

Quick Reply: did yank miss the mark with my stall? converter questions