Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Do I need to pin my crank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to pin my crank?

Ive had problems with belt squeel that I have traced back to the crank being misaligned. We have replaced the bolt, hit it with an air impact gun twice and the last time (2 weeks ago) we hit it with my Dewalt impact gun that is rated at 300ft/lbs. Well its backing itself off again. Will a crank pinning kit help with this? Im going with a T trim and more boost very soon, so if this is a sign of things to come Id like to get it out of the way. Thanks
Old 04-17-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Ive had problems with belt squeel that I have traced back to the crank being misaligned. We have replaced the bolt, hit it with an air impact gun twice and the last time (2 weeks ago) we hit it with my Dewalt impact gun that is rated at 300ft/lbs. Well its backing itself off again. Will a crank pinning kit help with this? Im going with a T trim and more boost very soon, so if this is a sign of things to come Id like to get it out of the way. Thanks
I can only think of the crank spinning in the balancer and this loosening the bolt. Pinning the crank will stop that. I just put cam in mine and followed the torqe to yield as recommended. 37 ft lbs then another 140 degrees. I don't see any impact gun getting this done. It took a 3 ft breaker bar, along with a 3 foot pipe, all bending very much might I add to get it this tight.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can only think of the crank spinning in the balancer and this loosening the bolt. Pinning the crank will stop that. I just put cam in mine and followed the torque to yield as recommended. 37 ft lbs then another 140 degrees. I don't see any impact gun getting this done. It took a 3 ft breaker bar, along with a 3 foot pipe, all bending very much might I add to get it this tight.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I can only think of the crank spinning in the balancer and this loosening the bolt. Pinning the crank will stop that. I just put cam in mine and followed the torque to yield as recommended. 37 ft lbs then another 140 degrees. I don't see any impact gun getting this done. It took a 3 ft breaker bar, along with a 3 foot pipe, all bending very much might I add to get it this tight.
How did you keep the crank from turning? Where did you wedge the pipe? Did you have it on a lift? The bolt is supposed to be torqued to 240ft/lbs. I figured that the impact gun would more than cover it. How are you guys that are doing 4 cam swaps a year getting this bolt torqued back in without a lift?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Launching!

I am guessing that the Dewalt impact is an electric? Try using an air impact. Mine hasn't ever slipped but I put it on with my IR. Think it is 650 ft/lbs. Make sure you are putting loctite on the bolt as well. Shouldn't back out then.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you keep the crank from turning?
Can you have someone use a pry bar, and hold the ring gear while you are turning the bolt? Don't know if that will work on these small engines, but that’s how we do it at the shop.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

How did you keep the crank from turning? Where did you wedge the pipe? Did you have it on a lift? The bolt is supposed to be torqued to 240ft/lbs. I figured that the impact gun would more than cover it. How are you guys that are doing 4 cam swaps a year getting this bolt torqued back in without a lift?
I bought a specialty tool that slips into the balancer/pulley to lock it. No lift.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First let me say that I hate TTY bolts and I wish I knew who invented them because I would like to shove a truckload of them up his rearward orifice.

With that said, you should never use an impact wrench to try to tighten a TTY bolt. They are designed to stretch a certain amount and the range is a narrow one. Not enough torque-and you don't get enough clamp, too much and you don't get enough clamp. The proper torque can only be reached by following the procedure in the service manual.

The crank pin kit won't keep the bolt from loosening but would be a good idea anyways. I would say pin it, then get a new bolt and torque it down properly and you should be gtg.