Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Does this engine need to go to the machine shop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
richard.....what did i ******* tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahaha
Dont get snappy, bitch

Let me reiterate this isnt my engine, its a friends who he bought from a salvage yard. He is trying to save as much money as possible and doesnt need or want anything more than a stock 6.0 with maybe a cam. Buying new pistons is not in the budget.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok then. Still have them mic it. If its beyond stock clearances from the get-go, you have no choice. If its a few thousandths out of less, hone it. Either way, hone it and ring it.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atomic
Dont get snappy, bitch

Let me reiterate this isnt my engine, its a friends who he bought from a salvage yard. He is trying to save as much money as possible and doesnt need or want anything more than a stock 6.0 with maybe a cam. Buying new pistons is not in the budget.
Not to say anything bad about your friend....but I hear this story all the time. I don't have the money for a full rebuild...so I'm just gonna... STOP HERE

If you don't have the cash for a rebuild...save up for it or buy the parts little by little....Half *** build means a half *** engine....and it will be as good as the money and work put into it....and you will just spend more sooner to do the job again.

He likely will not need pistons or rods...if its in spec...But if not pistons have to be ordered...just putting in oversize rings on stock pistons is just cutting corners. So what if you have to wait a month or two longer...or pick up an overtime shift or two to pay for it...Hell I stopped eating, drinking, smoking...anything to scrape up an extra few bucks to drop into my builds in the past.

I do like the idea of buying oversize rings and filing them to fit though...Never thought about doing that...that would make a nice fit for sure.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I have a gauge for that

I know exactly what you mean, and I emphasis to him that it is much cheaper to do what needs to be done the first time instead of later when it takes stuff with it. The oversized rings is a good though, I havent thought of that. The cheapest 4.030 pistons I could find were around $700. The stock pistons look fine and perfectly reusable.

I think he just may be getting discouraged because he bought this engine with the perception it was ready to bolt in and go, but then to find it needs a couple hundred dollars worth of machine work plus whatever parts are needed just to get running, never mind any upgrades he was thinking about, is frustrating.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Atomic
I know exactly what you mean, and I emphasis to him that it is much cheaper to do what needs to be done the first time instead of later when it takes stuff with it. The oversized rings is a good though, I havent thought of that. The cheapest 4.030 pistons I could find were around $700. The stock pistons look fine and perfectly reusable.

I think he just may be getting discouraged because he bought this engine with the perception it was ready to bolt in and go, but then to find it needs a couple hundred dollars worth of machine work plus whatever parts are needed just to get running, never mind any upgrades he was thinking about, is frustrating.
He could always try and look for another block only....should get a good one that just needs a hone and rings for under 300 bones...if this one is out of spec
Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a gauge for that

hmm, interesting thought.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

I was gonna say all that but figured it was pointless. If you are gonna do it then spend the money and do it right. But I can also see where he would be disappointed in all the work that needs to be done.

Still, **** happens and you work around it. Its amazing all the money I can hustle on the side when **** goes bad and I have to find another way.....gives me motivation
Old 06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Summit sells speed pro stock replacement pistons for bout 25 a pop.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Piston part#H857CP
Rings#E921K
Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

well depending on what he wants to do with the motor (boost, nos) If I was gonna replace pistons Id forge. Again, way more money.

Quick Reply: Does this engine need to go to the machine shop?