Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does this make sense?

I have about $150 to spend on my Tahoe. I am going to do some exhaust. I have three options. Big issue is I don't want it to be crazy loud due to being the family ride.

I should be able to cut off the muffler have a custom pipe bent to come out the back and split for my tips I have had for 6 months. I have heard plenty of trucks with full piping and only factory cats and many of then aren't crazy loud. I think it will still be louder then I really prefer. If I went this route the expectation would be in a month or two I will add a muffler to the pipe.

Second is just to replace the stock muffler with better flowing aftermarket one. Easily quiet enough for me, big down side is the exit will stay stock and the tips I bought are going to still ride around in the cargo area and not hang on the back of the truck.

What I think I am going to do is install the headers from my other truck since it is about 3-4 months away and with tax money I will buy a new set of headers for the HD. I can buy an ORY for just under my $150 and I think it will make the most power. Should get a little bit louder because of the loss of cats and the long tubes should make the most extra power and hopefully make a tiny bit more torque! Obviously the plan would be to get a muffler and add my tips down the road to finish off the exhaust.

Anyone see a really big issue with the long tubes and stock exhaust after that?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 PM
The House is Rockin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running full pipes out the back, with just cats no muffler. It has a nice tone to it, not redneck'ish like im sure most people would think it sounds.

It is not that loud really, just very DEEP.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Have you looked into the price of a muffler there pretty cheap??? Maybe you can get the pipe made the way you want locally and still be able to buy a muffler and weld it in your self.

IMO the stock muffler is going to be a restriction so you should change that out before headers. Then save another $150 and get the ORY and swap over the headers.

You could also do it the other way around and get the ORY and swap the headers over. Then do a nice exhaust the way you want later...

You could put that in the tank... Probably get you 1 1/2 tanks of High octane gas.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Have you looked into the price of a muffler there pretty cheap??? Maybe you can get the pipe made the way you want locally and still be able to buy a muffler and weld it in your self.

IMO the stock muffler is going to be a restriction so you should change that out before headers. Then save another $150 and get the ORY and swap over the headers.

You could also do it the other way around and get the ORY and swap the headers over. Then do a nice exhaust the way you want later...

You could put that in the tank... Probably get you 1 1/2 tanks of High octane gas.
Right now I could get two tanks of premium almost.

I think the headers, no cats, and stock otherwise will make the biggest power differance. Obviously I am not expecting thousands of hp but a few and a few ft lb of torque. I also think it would offer the most in fuel ecconemy if I keep my foot out of it. Again not expecting much but if I can get .5 mpg that would be a gain.

Dose anyone know if I will need extentions for my 02 sensors?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

The other option is an electric cut out. This gives me loud and stock? But part of the goal isn't just hp but a tiny bit of fuel ecconemy if possible so this option would make me very loud so i doubt it would be open very often for normal driving.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about save the $ until you have enough to do it once?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I have three kids. This is money from my birthday and if I don't do something to my truck the cash will be spent on something else.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently I am running a stock catback behind my longtubes and ory. I can tell it does have a restriction with the stock muffler compared to my other catback with dynomax bullet, I have done some comparing of similar videos between the two. Stock catback makes better torque down low, but at highway speeds it just feels clogged up when you get on it.It is slightly louder than stock. If it was me, I would swap out the muffler for now until you can afford to do more later, or throw on a cutout for both worlds.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I think I am going to to hold off on the headers. I don't want to start dipping into parts on the HD or else it will never get done.

Plus since the plan to to do a fliped, turbo on this truck no reason to go playing with the down pipe area for now. A straight pipe and my tips is the plan!