Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Does this mean I'm running hot/lean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 11:02 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does this mean I'm running hot/lean?

Passenger side splash guard....look slike it's melting close to where the headers are. The ceramic coating is flaking off the headers in the same general area. What do you guys think? Am I running lean?
Attached Thumbnails Does this mean I'm running hot/lean?-dscn1290.jpg  
Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How close is that splash guard to your headers? I'm running ASMs with my Radix and know for a fact that I'm lean on the top end. I haven't seen anything like that with my truck. My ASMs coating is just fine too.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:24 PM
High on diesel fumes

There's a good 5-6 inches between the closest pipe and the splash guard. Not sure what the deal is.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flaking and discoloration of ceramic coating is usually a sign of running lean. I'd start checking out your fuel delivery, because engine damage can and will occur.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

But if you are running lean will you be running that hot? That header looks like it is getting pretty hot on that side to me. I know if you tend to run a little lean you can run hotter... but I would imagine not that hot.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

could be lean or the timing is retarded too much. CHIP
Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also would imagine if you are running lean, you should see some of the same effects on the other side. So that would mean that you might not have lean condition. If you had access to some type of infared heat gun, I would measure how much heat you are making on that header vs. the other side.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:51 PM
High on diesel fumes

The other side is fine. I wonder if this is related to my motor getting up to 230 or so when towing uphill? I'm about to go in with a buddy on a dual-bank wideband and HPT, so maybe I'll be able to see some #'s in the next few weeks.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am thinking it is weird that you are getting just one side that is getting really hot. and you can tell obviously because of the melted plastic. Maybe you are getting some type of restriction in your exhuast. After seeing Vanilla's cats, every problem seems that it can be solved by removing the cats.

But really I am thinking that your cat right after that header might be starting to get plugged. If the cats are plugged then you can see really lean conditions on your trims, because all of that burnt exhuast has no where to go and your O2's keep reading a rich condition and thus lean out your trims.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

That thing is definitely lean as hell, just because it does not happen on both sides does not mean anything. When big HP turbo cars get lean the headers actually glow red believe it or not. I would make sure you get a good reading with a wide band on that bank of cylinders pronto. You may have to drill a hole to put the wide band in but you should do it and get a separate reading on each side of motor. Maybe fuel isn't getting to that side of fuel rail.

Quick Reply: Does this mean I'm running hot/lean?