Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Does muffler really matter THAT much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does muffler really matter THAT much?

I just bought some long tube pacesetters almost a week ago for my 03 4.8, right now as is I have custom exhaust coming out before the rear right tire with a super 44 blowmaster i put on just for sound almost 4 years ago. I know im gonna have to re do my exhaust once I put the headers on and I dont wants cats in. Should I just leave the flowmaster in there or get another? I do have some spare dynomax bullets someone gave me long ago. Or does it not matter? I am getting my truck tuned sometime after headers and long down the road I want to turbo it. I can always change up my exhaust for that though. Sorry for the ramble lol which muffler do you guys reccomend though? I love loudness but like tone too
Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight through mufflers flow better than chambered mufflers do but you are not going to notice a difference between mufflers. Just run whatever you want. I like bullets better than flowmasters but some people say that the bullets get raspy.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try what you have and keep what you like, I have pacesetter LTs > ORY no cats > cutout > stock muffler and when I open my cutuot I don't notice any difference.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Hmmm. Well do you think keeping the flowmaster would be kinda quiet for having headers? And that the bullet will cause it to be too free flowing but alot of rasp? I cant find any exhaust videos on youtube of this combo
Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Launching!

I do like the tone I get from the super 44 but love the loudness of the bullet

Keep in mind it will be coming out the side with no cats
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The headers will make your exhaust louder... I'm still trying to find a good way to quiet mine down more.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dmelvin
The headers will make your exhaust louder... I'm still trying to find a good way to quiet mine down more.
Yea I know it definately will especially without cats... I guess il just stick to what I got now and if I dont like it well hey, Iv always wanted to go X pipe and dumped with 2 bullets Idk if that would work on our trucks, I always wanted to do that when I was looking for an Ls1 F body
Old 05-14-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running Xpipe into dual magnaflows right now, was running into dual flowmaster 40's. Theres vids in a thread on here.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...=482283&page=2
Old 05-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Launching!

I cant really see the videos since my internet is being very stupid right now as usual in this crappy barracks. But I didnt think true dual was possible in an 03 single cab? Without somehow rigging it that is because I know its always "possible" in a vehicle
Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep your flowmaster if you like the tone but its going to be freggin LOUD compaired to how it is now. I noticed a huge difference when I installed my PS long tubes ORY w/no kittys into an 18" Borla. If you like loud your going in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Does muffler really matter THAT much?