Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
View Poll Results: Which engine
forged 6.0
22.50%
forged 408
50.00%
other- Please explain
27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Dream Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
There are a lot of smart people around here, and a bunch of good ideas have been posted. If you are really serious about that kind of project, I would get in touch with one of the serious LSx builders such as:
http://www.w2wpowertrain.com/

These guys haven't built anything that isn't first rate.
Thanks for the link,
and yes I am serious about this,
I am kinda leaning towards the LS7 IF I can get a good deal on one and the high compression can handle the boost. I still haven't decided which way to go yet, That is why I posted this thread, Since I have a 6.0 in my truck right now I know I don't want to go to a smaller displacement.
Thanks for everybody's input. Keep it coming, I will get this done befor the end of the year.
Mark
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Will the 122 even pass smog? I thought it won't carry a smog number, and if it won't then wouldn't it fail the visual inspection?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

If it pass the sniffer than I am fine, I will use carb sticker from the M112.
I have a couple options to get around smog. I would rather not use them. I have a friend that owns a small Motel in a county that has no smog (there are quit a few county's that don't require smog here in Calif.) I can register my truck at the Motel.
Mark
Old 07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

In AZ all you have to do to avoid smog is get a PO box in a rural area. Have the car registered there and no emissions testing is required. I know this works on older vehicles, which is a good thing, because we don't have the rolling 30years law here. I don't know why it wouldn't work on a newer vehicle. See if you can't get it registered to a PO box in one of those said counties.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
Thanks for the link,
I am kinda leaning towards the LS7 IF I can get a good deal on one and the high compression can handle the boost. I still haven't decided which way to go yet, That is why I posted this thread, Since I have a 6.0 in my truck right now I know I don't want to go to a smaller displacement.
Thanks for everybody's input. Keep it coming, I will get this done befor the end of the year.
Mark
The LS7 is a great motor, but for $12,000 I'd rather have an all forged offering from a reputable builder. Besides the hassles of the dry sump oiling system, the LS7's have some rod issues which would need to be addressed if you are considering a "max effort" engine. If I were you, I'd figure out exactly where I wanted to be, power and performance wise (dyno hp and e.t.) and then build the plan from there. Where do you think you want to be....hp wise as well as E.T. wise? Does anyone remember C3C5? He had a 408 and a big shot of nitrous and ran in the 10.9x's with a C3 Denali.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I suggested the LS7 I was intending on a N/A set-up, figuring that would be enough. But if he's got the money to throw a 122 radix on there then more power to him. The problem there is the 5 psi boost range is probably the max he could run on it without swaping pistons.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Don't want to hijack the thread, but thought you might want to see theses.
This was where he started:
http://www.wideawakeracing.com/forum...file&file_id=9
getting a little faster:
http://www.wideawakeracing.com/forum...file&file_id=5
and turning it up a little more:
http://www.wideawakeracing.com/forum...file&file_id=2

I think he wound up running 10.94 like a day after Parish went 10.92 or something....they were close. Haven't seen him around here in a long time, I think he got rid of it for a Duramax. But it was a Badmofo for sure.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by mjhoward
When I suggested the LS7 I was intending on a N/A set-up, figuring that would be enough. But if he's got the money to throw a 122 radix on there then more power to him. The problem there is the 5 psi boost range is probably the max he could run on it without swaping pistons.
Oh I know what you were saying, sell his 6.0 and charger and add about $6k or so for the LS7, then have the money left from his original budget for the trans etc. With the cam sensors, dry sump, harness adapters, etc., I think it would be more of a hassle than a built motor with a great valvetrain and heads, and prob. still wouldn't make the power of the built motor. Of course, saying you have an LS7 truck is sexy.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
Oh I know what you were saying, sell his 6.0 and charger and add about $6k or so for the LS7, then have the money left from his original budget for the trans etc. With the cam sensors, dry sump, harness adapters, etc., I think it would be more of a hassle than a built motor with a great valvetrain and heads, and prob. still wouldn't make the power of the built motor. Of course, saying you have an LS7 truck is sexy.
I think when I was saying I was leaning towards the LS7 maybe I was looking more at the cool factor than being realistic, I do tend to go for what is rare, That is why I have the Quadrasteer,
I want to be in the mid 11's. I can't dip into the 10's. A roll cage and Denali interior don't mix to well.
I apreciate everybody's feed back. I guess I am back to the original forged 6.0 or the forged 408 with the Radix M122

Here is a link to a 4L80E tranny on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-4L...05860473QQrdZ1
Mark

Last edited by 04Denali; 07-19-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
Thanks for the link,
Mark
Check World Industries Warhawk LS7 block...its a FEW grand cheaper, and apperently has better galleries and flow characteristics. There was a recent write in Chev Hi Perf. The single biggest drawback of the LS7 is the cost of the stock block, and availability. R/

Quick Reply: Dream Engine