Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Are Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors good fro trucks often off the road?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors good fro trucks often off the road?

Hey peeps, I know most of you are more for the performance on trucks and don't do much off-road but maybe you'd have an idea about this.

I received an unexpected huge-*** xmas bonus which will be mostly to pay off my bank loan and spending a small portion on for upgrading the truck with new rims/tires/brakes and higher suspension. I didn't know what to do with it and things have been too busy/too cold. But now my front brakes need desperate replacing and needs to be done ASAP.

This guy at a shop is giving me a pretty good deal on really thick slotted brake rotors which is terribly tempting. I know these tend to be quite a bit more expensive but he's selling them to me for half the price tag you'd pay for standard rotors.

I just don't know if i should though because I do a lot of off-road in thick mud. Obviously the mud would clog the holes until I power-wash them. Would this tend to be a problem? Or maybe a positive as it would give the dirt and grime an easier escape?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the rotors need adapters for the calipers? What about minimum rim size?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Do the rotors need adapters for the calipers? What about minimum rim size?
These rotors are the same size as OEM rotors. That was my first question to the guy. It won't cause me problems in that way. When I said thick, I meant not cheaply built like many other rotors you can buy out there. They look and feel like they have decent quality. After looking at other rotors, many felt cheap, thin and ready to replace in a year.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Wearin' da big hat

What brand are these rotors?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Well... they weren't in a box and the only insignia I could see was "Roto-Tech." Not sure if it was the brand or the line of brakes from that company. The guy is selling them cheap because he got them in error a while back ago and because they aren't in a box, they have no warranty. He's is selling them for 100$ for the pair in the front, 100$ for the back.

Do you guys only suggest specific brands?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Roto tech is the brand, do a google search on them and read some reviews.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Slotted rotors will work ok for off road by helping keep the calipers a little cooler, drilled rotors are weaker and are for bling. The first thing I would check is are they made in china. If they are the quality will be suspect. USA and Canada are preferred with Brazil in between. What is more important is the performance of the brake pad. An aggressive pad will be harder on the rotor but stop you faster.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Well, they're both slotted and cross-drilled. I read some comments from people with high-end cars. "2 guys with vipers, one with a modded out corvette" and seemed happy with them. Nothing indicating that they're the best thing ever, but I haven't found any negative reviews either. No surprise here, as I said earlier, they felt and looked very sturdy and had a good build quality. They are made in Canada. People on another forum also noted that drilled rotors in general will have no negative effect for an off-road truck either.

So I guess I have my answer. Paying 200$ for all four (no tax or shipping) for good quaility performance rotors def beats paying 125$/rotor for over-rated monroes or 70$/rotor for cheap generic garbage, even for off-road usage.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slotted rotors are OK (I run them), but I'm not a fan of cross-drilled rotors as they're prone to cracking between the holes. Honestly, on stock size rotors, all the holes and slots do is give you less surface area for the brake pad's friction surface.