Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

drive bt wire throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive bt wire throttle body

i have a 2004 buick rainier with the 5.3. ihave exhaust, trans go shift kit,and cold air and have been playing with the hp-tuner software. the truck has the drive by wire t.b. and with all the t.m. pulled this thing is still a dog of the line! i do have the updated sofeware from hp-tuners but have yet not played around with it! has anyone had this problem? i would like this truck to launch hard and aggresive! it gets it good when it is moving!
Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

A Stall and or gears will fix that problem.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do some loging of the throttle position and timing during a run. i bet that is just all it has out of the hole but if the throttle is not opening all the way you will see it on the scan tool.

the blade may be closing on the shifts if you haven't programed that out yet.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

WHat Parish said ... double check the TQM stuff.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

we added timing and on the first tune there wasn't anything we could do to get the truck to go out of the hole! the truck feels really strong from a rolling start it is that dead stop grut that is missing. hp-tuner told me that the tps wasn't in the first software i bought and since then they e-mailed me the latest software but haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. i think the truck should feel a lot stronger out of the hole. my buddie had a 5.3 in a z-71 with the wire t.b. and the truck felt like it should! i've read on this sight that 2004-2005 drive by wire t.b are very bad of the line!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:46 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats interesting. mine is an 03 and i dont think i have ever seen any tm out of the hole either timing or throttle plate.

at the 1-2 shift i would see the timing drop into the negative numbers and the throttle place close down to 40%. this was while spraying a 100shot, can't imiagne sprayine a 100shot at a mostly closed throttle plate is a good thing.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

so anybody else with any input to the drive bt wire t.b.? and what do you guy's do for timming tables?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default TB Only Opening 45%

I seen a lap top screen shot showing the TB opening no more than 45% until the upper RPMs'. It's gotta be a tuning issue.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea and if ya juice before that pcm decides to open , cough chug die . Dont ask me how I know.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

It almost sounds like an abuse mode... are they all (both?) turned off?

My truck doesn't come out of the hole all that great, but it's not bad. (2.13 60')

- There is the usual TM that pulls timing on shifts...

- There is a throttle limiting table based off of some sort of traction or engine torque parameter...

- Then there are a bunch of torque limiting tables and a few single values that reflect max torque based off of axles and trany input shaft and what-not.

What does the throttle position line look like when logging with the scanner? It should open as quick as you step on the pedal.

I never understood why my vehicle is drive by wire. Aside from the TB blade moving to maintain an idle speed, it acts EXACTLY like a regular cable driven TB. It doesn't do anything else differently.

Quick Reply: drive bt wire throttle body