Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dropping the oil pan ??? yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevytruck
could you use the gasket over again?

It can be used over, but I feel that mine is causing the pan to leak, I tightend the bolts up pretty good, didn't want to risk going tighter, due to pos breaking them. I am putting the new gasket on, with selant this time....

John
Old 10-04-2008, 06:57 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
It can be used over, but I feel that mine is causing the pan to leak, I tightend the bolts up pretty good, didn't want to risk going tighter, due to pos breaking them. I am putting the new gasket on, with selant this time....

John
Was it plastic or cork?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Baltimore Whore

Your thinking way back(ole school) They are metal, with rubber on both sides. Thats why I can't understand why it was leaking

John
Old 10-04-2008, 07:04 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to peper nuts and looked at a gasket and it was plastice with a rubber seal. that is why I was asking.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't put any sealant on it other than a couple dabs where where the front and rear covers meet the block. You shouldn't have any problems with the pan sealing using a new gasket if you make sure your mating surfaces are properly cleaned.

When you reinstall your pan, if you haven't already, make sure you get it positioned squarely to the bellhousing otherwise you may crack it when you tighten down the bolts.

Tighten bolts outward from the center
do engine and front cover to pan bolts first they are 18ft/lbs
next the rear cover bolts (long ones) are 106in/lbs
and lastly the 2 bellhousing bolts are 37ft./lbs
in case you were wondering!

You probably found out you couldn't see much when you pulled the pan. If you remove the windage tray and oil pickup tube probably should throw a fresh o-ring in there. tray bolts are 18ft/lbs
Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by l_kusler
I wouldn't put any sealant on it other than a couple dabs where where the front and rear covers meet the block. You shouldn't have any problems with the pan sealing using a new gasket if you make sure your mating surfaces are properly cleaned.

When you reinstall your pan, if you haven't already, make sure you get it positioned squarely to the bellhousing otherwise you may crack it when you tighten down the bolts.

Tighten bolts outward from the center
do engine and front cover to pan bolts first they are 18ft/lbs
next the rear cover bolts (long ones) are 106in/lbs
and lastly the 2 bellhousing bolts are 37ft./lbs
in case you were wondering!

You probably found out you couldn't see much when you pulled the pan. If you remove the windage tray and oil pickup tube probably should throw a fresh o-ring in there. tray bolts are 18ft/lbs
I totally app your advice, have pulled all an inspected every thing. The reason it was leaking is due to the fact when I received the pan the gasket it had a bend in it(used pan), at the time I wanted to put it together, tried to fix it best I could, so I did, well it leaked. I am very familiar with putting them on, but will add a hint of seal'nt on it this time to make it seal for sure..

John
Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replaced numerous oil pans because the pan was the actual cause. They get pourous and leak, or warp and leak. I have also seen the rear cover leaking, getting on the flywheel, and slinging side to side. LOOKING like te oil pan leaking