Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dual Exhaust Routing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:19 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust Routing

Does everyone run both pipes down the Passenger side or has anyone ever been able to route equal length pipes symetrically all the way to the rear? I was under my truck the other day (ecsb) and was thinkng that it looked like it was possible to tuck them up over the tranny and t-bar x-members then mufflers, then near the carrier bearing, route them above the driveshaft and over the axle. I think 3" would fit and clear the gas tank fine, it would be tight in places, but it's not like my single 4" clears with much to spare. I think equal lenght systems sound so much better and not to mention, I'd love to be able to drop my tranny or change the fluid without having to deal with a y-pipe.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what we attempted to do with my setup, it was a bit more difficult with the transfer case there but if you look at the pics on my CD page (click sig) you might get an idea.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

kinda tough to see exactly what you have going on from that one pic, but your truck is one a my fav's fo sho.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

this is kinda the routing I'm trying to describe with the driver and passenger pipes staying on their respective sides rather than going both down one side. Even considering rear mounted mufflers If I can keep them hidden.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trever, I've seen better pics of your exhaust, it's awesome. I'd love to have equal length pipes like that. Does it split so you can drop it off of the headers if you have to drop the trans? Got any better pics?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

come on trev, what happened to your pb account. I found your old thread with you exhaust pics, but I got a big FAIL when I opened it.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...hlight=exhaust
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, yeah

My PB account was overloaded so I deleted everything but I have the pics on my hard drive on my desktop at home. Shoot me a pm with your email and I'll try to get a few off to you but not until next week as I am burning the candle from both ends here right now.

The driver side comes down from the header and there are a few 45* elbows to get it over the crossmenber, then it sweeps to and X directly under the DS yoke and straight into 2 XR-1's splitting after the muffles to behind each wheel.

I am thinking of redoing the exhaust, Rick has a few ideas that sound very interesting
Old 09-17-2009, 01:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I was just jerkin your chain, But i will get my email to ya. Thanks... sounds cool, I'm thinkin of just turnin Brian (over at Madman and Co. racing) loose and let him come up with something for me. He's a wizard with chit like this, the problem is, by the time he lets go, my truck would be caged, linked and gutted. Just the way he rolls, lol.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your simply looking to make it easier to drop the tranny without having to pull the exhaust you can go over the x-member like this set-up althought it will take some modifications. This is an ECSB...
(Personally I couldn't fit my exaust above the drivers side x-member because of the wiring and the ABS but I also didn't try very hard)

Name:  donepic1.jpg
Views: 3423
Size:  53.8 KB

This is what I did for mine, ignore the rest of it but from the X you could easily move on and have duals go on either end of the DS, there's plenty of room.

Name:  CIMG4395.jpg
Views: 2088
Size:  101.4 KB
Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
12 Second Truck Club

right click and save, that's good stuff right there. Might have to fab a similar x-member while I'm at it.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust Routing