Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dual Widebands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual Widebands?

Planning on my future exhaust setup, I currently have the cats gutted and plan to use the rear O2 bungs for a wideband...or two. Since I have both banks available to me, I was thinking of getting the gauge pod that goes into the overhead console and running two widebands, one for each bank. I know that guys usually run one installed on the left bank, but what about the right? Does this sound like a good idea or just a waste of dough? I think that it would be kinda cool and different...
Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Baltimore Whore

Honestly I think it is a waste of time. Unless you are boosted out your *** or running HUGE hp, it is not needed imo.. 1 bank is fine to monitor what is going on... Just my op
Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks John, I appreciate your input. I just think it would be kind of cool since I have the two bungs available to me, and will have the two gauge pods also available...although I've also considered running one wideband and one interceptor or something like that. Also thought about the right bank...seems like monitoring one bank is only getting half of the picture. I could always put a bung in the y to get both, but that defeats the purpose of making use of what I already have available and keeping it stock and stealth underneath. (even though the future cutout won't be stock or stealth lol)
Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but bank 1 always runs the leanest. What you could do is put a bung on #7 and a bung at the Y. Seeing how #7 is the main reason you monitor B1, it may give you a better overall view of your actual afr. Then #7 could be singled out while tuning. That's if you are dead set on 2 wb
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'm not dead set on 2 wb's, just kinda feeling out the idea since I already have the two bungs available from the rear O2's which are turned off, and the cat's are gutted. I'll still have sensors in there for NJ State Inspection, and I'll know what both banks of the engine are doing...but the wb's are expensive, and I'm not sure if it will be worth it... I'm definitely going to put two gauges in the overhead console (I like the SoCalDiesel gauge pod), and at least one will be a wb...so I was thinking of another wb or an interceptor for the other gauge.

I do like the idea that it's different and I haven't seen it done before...but I don't want it to look stupid either...

*EDIT* If I had unlimited funds I'd run dual widebands in the overhead console and dual interceptors in the a-pillar...I like that interceptor gauge, it's like riding around with a scan tool at all times

Last edited by budhayes3; 10-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well i think it would have it's pros and cons... The pros would be you could average the 2 banks together and use that average value for tuning... Also you could tell if one side is doing better/worse than the other... This could have come in handy when i was logging and failed to plug in an injector... The cons, well there is nothing in the tune beside the switch point table that adjusts bank1 and bank2 individually... Another con is that it costs twice as much...

Honestly if you want to monitor both banks, get a Aeroforce gauge (I love mine!!!) and set it on LTFT1 and LTFT2. This will allow you to monitor both banks at the same time but only at part throttle. I would not recommend monitoring the wideband output throught the aeroforce gauge, the displayed values don't display/refresh fast enough for it to be useful in a WOT situation...

BTW, i believe Fast makes a dual wideband sensor/controller
Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about doing two WB's myself but couldn't find enough info to justify doing it. So I went with the customary setup, WB in B1 and then I run a DM-100 multiguage in the other hole of the mount. I picked up the billet mount from SoCal Diesel for like $125.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Honestly if you want to monitor both banks, get a Aeroforce gauge (I love mine!!!) and set it on LTFT1 and LTFT2. This will allow you to monitor both banks at the same time but only at part throttle.
I check mine sometimes using this and i got a question maybe you can answer or input, is there a % or something to go by that they are suppose to be within in the same range of each other? It was said the drivers is always leaner, i forget which one it is right now but one side seems to run richer than the other iirc..
Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Bud, I was thinking of adding something similar. I like this unit from FAST.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Good info, thanks guys. I was just checking out that Aeroforce gauge and I really like it...I like the idea of running their dual kit, as I'd definitely like to monitor KR at all times, and LTFT's...I guess that the easiest and least expensive route would be to get one WB and one Aeroforce and run them in the SoCal Diesel mount, and just switch from the parameters I need in the Aeroforce. Great info guys, keep it coming

*EDIT* That looks like a pretty cool set up too MrGoodwrench3, thanks man...

Hey does anyone know if the Autometer WB gauge display changes colors, say from red to blue etc? In pictures, all that I've seen in blue is their Cobalt series, but my current vacuum gauge on the a-pillar is their Competition series or whatever, and I want everything to match...thanks again!

Quick Reply: Dual Widebands?