Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dynatech Longtube Header Package worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Dynatechs on my SS, They bolt right up.It was the easiest header install I have ever done. The only thing is they are not 50 state legal. I have heard that they will pass a sniffer test though. I have the whole thing cats and all.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

are dynatech's manufactured by FLP? just wondering. I can't find the FLP header system on FLP's website anymore.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FLP headers are made by Dynatech.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whether it's worth it or not is a bit tough to say. I bought mine when they were on sale. I dropped 3 tenths with the Supermaxx and magnaflow combo, and I'm sure it has more it in if I could just tune the A/F ratio.

I bought them over the other LT's basically because my factory exhaust is untouched. I can bolt it back in anytime, just incase I get crazy and go turbo some day.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Digging this one up, sorry, just adding my 2 cents.

I was pretty reluctant with spending the cash too - I got lucky, I found a low mile set that came off an '04 SS like mine. Got them for $800, cats and all. I knew if they fit 'that' SS, they should fit mine. They do - perfectly.

Those few drivers side plug wires are definitely a "gotcha". I got pretty annoyed at myself for not realizing that until I was near the final stages of the install, and realized I had a big problem with the wires heavily touching the primaries. I fabbed up some craptastic sheet metal tabs that got bolted to the header-to-head bolts. I then used simple wire-ties to secure the wires to them, and out of danger.

Pic 1
Pic 2

I had to trim the extra threads hanging off the shaft bolt, which was nothing at all.

I love the headers. Performance added from ~1,100-1,200rpm and up. Definite improvement in highway speed, overdrive, roll-on power. Very noticeable midrange increase.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marc_w
Digging this one up, sorry, just adding my 2 cents.

I was pretty reluctant with spending the cash too - I got lucky, I found a low mile set that came off an '04 SS like mine. Got them for $800, cats and all. I knew if they fit 'that' SS, they should fit mine. They do - perfectly.

Those few drivers side plug wires are definitely a "gotcha". I got pretty annoyed at myself for not realizing that until I was near the final stages of the install, and realized I had a big problem with the wires heavily touching the primaries. I fabbed up some craptastic sheet metal tabs that got bolted to the header-to-head bolts. I then used simple wire-ties to secure the wires to them, and out of danger.

Pic 1
Pic 2

I had to trim the extra threads hanging off the shaft bolt, which was nothing at all.

I love the headers. Performance added from ~1,100-1,200rpm and up. Definite improvement in highway speed, overdrive, roll-on power. Very noticeable midrange increase.
is it a PITA to change the spark plugs now with those LT's?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

No - slightly worse than before, but not that bad at all.

The passenger side is still a piece of cake. The drivers is the one that's a little harder because of that kinked up primary, but I think you can actually see the plug holes in the head now with the headers. I remember using a 4" and 6" extention, and POSSIBLY one of those small wobble extentions to get the plugs in.

I can go look at them tonight and see how things look.

I know I had to use a wobbler to get the torque wrench on the header-to-head bolts, maybe that's what i was thinking of.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are our favorite headers to install...the easiest to install. High quality, and makes tremendous power. Id definitly recommend them. We do them on almost every radix install that comes through here.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the easiest way to do the driver side plugs is just to remove the fender splash sheild and go through the wheelwell. I little more work, but probably less frustration.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Todd@ProDyno
These are our favorite headers to install...the easiest to install. High quality, and makes tremendous power. Id definitly recommend them. We do them on almost every radix install that comes through here.
You have a dyno...do you have numbers on the increase?

Quick Reply: Dynatech Longtube Header Package worth the money?