Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dynatech Longtube Header Package worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TarheelZ -

Thanks for weighing in on the headers being 304 stainless. Where did you get the info from?

VanillaGorilla -

Good point about 300 series stainless not being rustproof, especially when exposed to chlorides. Shouldn't be a problem in Northern California, as long as I stay out of the Lake Tahoe snow...
Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
For you east coasters and rust belt peeps: Stainless steel DOES rust. Contrary to popular belief, it will corode, it just takes longer than regular steel. The chromium just inhibits rust, but only for so long. As for the heat, I'm not sure if its better, because I'm not familiar with the properties of the ceramic coating. They will expand more than mild steel headers, but not enough for it to be an issue. Something to think about if they salt the roads near you.

Does anybody know if you can get them without the cats/y-pipe?!? I might consider them, but I don't want thier cats or y-pipe.
Ive seen them on sites for sale with just the headers. Look at the bottom

http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...evy_truck.html
Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sauceman
TarheelZ -

Thanks for weighing in on the headers being 304 stainless. Where did you get the info from?
When I was debating whether to have them coated, I called and talked with one of their tech reps. He said that, when a customer wants the coating, they use Jet Hot but fewer than 1% of their customers opt for the coating. During the course of the conversation, he told me they were 304 ss.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks Tarheelz!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:19 PM
FormerVendor

For you east coasters and rust belt peeps: Stainless steel DOES rust. Contrary to popular belief, it will corode, it just takes longer than regular steel. The chromium just inhibits rust, but only for so long. As for the heat, I'm not sure if its better, because I'm not familiar with the properties of the ceramic coating. They will expand more than mild steel headers, but not enough for it to be an issue. Something to think about if they salt the roads near you.

Does anybody know if you can get them without the cats/y-pipe?!? I might consider them, but I don't want thier cats or y-pipe.
So for me living in Michigan where the roads are all f-cked up in the winter I should definitely get mine coated?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Do they use salt on the roads? If so, then yes. How long would it take for a painted mild steel header to rust. Not long at all, especially if you drive everyday. Maybe a couple years? A 304 SS will probably last 2-3 times as long. A coated SS will last even longer. But I think in Michigan its just gonna happen, unless you get some made out of inconel. Those roads are nasty during the winter.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

T304 SS will outlast most people's trucks. It's the same stuff Borla uses on their exhausts w/ their million mile warranty. I had a Borla cat-back on my S-10 for over 5 years and it still looked new. Now the SLP Loudmouth on my '01 Monte Carlo SS is T409 SS, and that has alot of surface rust on the pipes, and it's only on it's 2nd winter. This is in Syracuse winters, we use a ton of salt from Oct.-Apr. Not saying that coating wouldn't be a good idea, but I think T304 SS will outlast the sheetmeal on these trucks in a salty climate.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Yup, definitely. Mine were "nice" when I put them on, but they look pretty browned over, stained, and not so pretty anymore.

I was really looking for stainless mainly because it'll last a long longer than mild steel.

---

I experienced the same thing as Tarheel... I wanted to check my plug wires, and I couldn't tell if the headers were still hot. They were "burnable" hot, but it was hard to tell without getting right up to them.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

I'd coat them not only for the heat but to prevent them "bluing". I wish I would have coated mine. Also if you dont coat them, be sure and wipe/clean them off really well before you start the motor...all your fingerprints will stain them once they get hot (couple seconds).
Old 01-21-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

I have an 01 w/ a 5.3 and I was thinking, is it possible to use the 6.0L Dynatech header system? If so, could I then get an aftermarket cat-back for a 6.0 and use it? Would the 6.0 cat-back it use the same exhaust hangers as the factory cat-back? Would this be even flow better than the 5.3 Dynatech header system and aftermarket cat-back?

Quick Reply: Dynatech Longtube Header Package worth the money?