Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dynatech LT's On The Way!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What is the exact torque the header bolts need to be torqued down to?
Do any of you guys recommend Stage 8 locking header bolts ( www.stage8.com ) or equivalent?
What about the header gaskets? Do the Dynatechs come with them, reuse the O.E. gaskets ,or buy another quality header gasket?
Sorry for all the Q's, but I just want to be prepared a head of time.
http://www.stage8.com/howitworks.htm

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-15-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
What is the exact torque the header bolts need to be torqued down to?
Do any of you guys recommend Stage 8 locking header bolts ( www.stage8.com ) or equivalent?
What about the header gaskets? Do the Dynatechs come with them, reuse the O.E. gaskets ,or buy another quality header gasket?
Sorry for all the Q's, but I just want to be prepared a head of time.
http://www.stage8.com/howitworks.htm

Thanks,

Jim
Not certian on the torque spec. Think its like 15lb. Whatever it is jut be sure and hit them again after a couple heat cycles. The headers should come with gasket (oem steel) and bolts. I used the bolts that came with them and they work fine. Put some anit-seize on them. I also reused the gaskets and bolts on a recent engine swap they have sealed up fine.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Stage8's will have you really pissed off really quick. Youll be throwing the locks across your garage! Breslin makes about the best locking header bolts availible. But they are not cheap. I opted for some stainless 12-point bolts. Stockers look like *** and tend to break.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The service manual specifies threadlocker (IMPORTANT-not on the first 3 threads), and torque in a two step sequence: 11ftlb then 18ftlb, starting with the two center bolts and then alternating side to side to the outside most bolts.

I have used the supplied gaskets and OE gaskets with the headers - they both work fine. I also reused the factory bolts, torqued to spec (without threadlocker, btw) and have never had a problem with leaks.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

hey Jim, who's installing them for you??? or are you doing it yourself??
Old 04-17-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ap2002
hey Jim, who's installing them for you??? or are you doing it yourself??
I would like to do them myself, but..... work seems to always have me 7 days a week!!!!!!!!!
Why do you ask?

Jim
Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I would like to do them myself, but..... work seems to always have me 7 days a week!!!!!!!!!
Why do you ask?

Jim
Im trying to look for somebody to do mine whenever they arrive, I work quite a bit too, but whenever Im off Im just lazy, plus if I've never messed with something I dont want to try it myself cause I always mess up something... Im still on the look out to see if I find someone...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ap2002
Im trying to look for somebody to do mine whenever they arrive, I work quite a bit too, but whenever Im off Im just lazy, plus if I've never messed with something I dont want to try it myself cause I always mess up something... Im still on the look out to see if I find someone...
Maybe we can try and set an evenning aside and try it together.
I will definately be using a 1/4" torque wrench to set the torque where it needs to be. 11ft lbs the first time, then 18 ft lbs finally from the middle to the outsides.
I will be also buying Breslin's locking header bolts from Summit. They seem like they would work and save headaches later. May not be cheap, but i think they will be well worth it.

Jim
Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got pacesetters.... I couldnt bring myself to drop almost 1300 for headers and Y. even with cats... I am not sure if the dynas will make enough power over the pace's to bridge the cost gap... JMO though...
Old 04-18-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I just got pacesetters.... I couldnt bring myself to drop almost 1300 for headers and Y. even with cats... I am not sure if the dynas will make enough power over the pace's to bridge the cost gap... JMO though...
yeah, but we will pay as soon as we get caught without the cats . dynatech has a badass setup! hey jim, any word on the caltracs

Quick Reply: Dynatech LT's On The Way!