Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dynatech Supermaxx

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynatech Supermaxx

What do you guys think of this system? Good, bad, anything.

I have heard about the passenger(?) header hitting the frame, or being close to it. I contacted dynatech about it and they said they have built better jigs so the headers fit better.

With it having cats, and a y-pipe instead of duals, it doesn't open the exhaust too much correct? Currently the exhaust is stock except for a flowmaster with dual tips. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
What do you guys think of this system? Good, bad, anything.

I have heard about the passenger(?) header hitting the frame, or being close to it. I contacted dynatech about it and they said they have built better jigs so the headers fit better.
Yeah, I heard of a few fitment issues at first... Some were too close in one area, and another truck would be too close in another. (I think the problem was 2wd vs 4wd?) They had to work with each truck to get the best clearance on each type.

I got a set here I'm going to put on Saturday night. They came off another Silverado SS that didn't have any fitment issues. I'm hoping I'll be okay.

The quality of these things look awesome. The welds are great. On the insides of the tubing they are very clean. (they the really "thin" beads). The bends are all nice, collectors look smooth internally...

If you run a search for Dynatech, or Supermaxx, you should end up with about a half hour of good reading.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know if this is an issue for you guys or not, but I was on the verge of ordering this system until I found out it does not have the A.I.R. fitting that is required for my '00 Sierra. Obviously, if your trucks don't have that requirement, this is a great system.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
I don't know if this is an issue for you guys or not, but I was on the verge of ordering this system until I found out it does not have the A.I.R. fitting that is required for my '00 Sierra. Obviously, if your trucks don't have that requirement, this is a great system.
What A.I.R. fitting? I guess that is something I need to look into.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Mine have one fitting on them... I didn't expect to see it. Is it the EGR?

It's a real small tube on the passenger side, comes up to a plate that has two screw holes in it. It's a "sideways diamond" shape about 2" wide?

I was going to cut the thing off, and cut the tube down to 1/4", tap it, and throw a plug in it that'll sit flush. I have on AIR or EGR.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yes that is EGR. AIR would be on the driver side.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

I've had fitment issues with the pass. side header (2nd header is still too close to the frame) but this was probably before they "upgraded jigs" - other than that its been great. I would probably have them ceramic coated if I were to do it again....I couldn't believe the heat that came out when I opened the hood after the first trial run.

Couple suggestions: clean them out before you install them. Mine were filled with dirt and shavings and junk....I blew them out with a 100mph lawn blower and did the best I could with a rag. And be sure and wipe them down before you start the truck up the first time....any oils from your hands that get on them will stain once it gets hot...
Old 10-21-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

I'm considering coating mine. They're used though, so I'll need to go get them dipped and all that junk. I'll probably just run them like this, and swap back to the stock manifolds if I find the heat to be too offensive...
Old 10-21-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O3GMC
And be sure and wipe them down before you start the truck up the first time....any oils from your hands that get on them will stain once it gets hot...
I take it you have finger prints all over your headers.

What would a coating cost? I would like to do this also. The headers on my mustang are stainless with a ceramic coating which helps the heat and they look awesome!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure how much it costs, and yes mine are stained pretty good

Did the headers on your mustang "blue" (turn gold/blue) ? Being stainless, mine blued almost immediately but I've always wondered how ceramic coating affects this.

Quick Reply: Dynatech Supermaxx