Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dynatech Supermaxx

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BeefTip
Why dont these headers like the dynatechs and as&ms already come coated. For the price of these longtubes for these new trucks they should stay shiny for 50 years. I know when i bought longtubes for my z28 they were jet hot coated and the were 600 shipped to me. I guess im wondering what makes headers for these trucks so damn expensive?
Prices for Fbody headers used to be outrageous also but, demand was there and the prices came down as competitors brought new headers to market.

While there is demand in the truck world for headers it's not near what the Fbody demand is and there are very few competitors producing true long tube designs. "Low" volume sales and lack of competition creates artificially high prices.

The AS&M headers are mild steel and coated. The dynatechs are stainless and don't really need to be coated but, need the proper maintenance to keep the stainless looking good. They won't rust through without the coating like the AS&M's would. The dynatechs also come with 2 new cats and a complete replacement y-pipe which makes the price a little higher.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
... The dynatechs are stainless and don't really need to be coated but, need the proper maintenance to keep the stainless looking good.
Coating them would help keep the engine bay heat down quite a bit though, right?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
Coating them would help keep the engine bay heat down quite a bit though, right?
Yeah, it's supposed to help, but I heard a lot of people say that Stainless ITSELF is better than ceramic coated mild steel...

Old 10-22-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by marc_w
Yeah, it's supposed to help, but I heard a lot of people say that Stainless ITSELF is better than ceramic coated mild steel...

Thanks...I'm seriously thinking about getting this system while TByrne has 'em on sale. If I don't need to have 'em coated, I'd rather save the $$$.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

I hear ya! I'm in the same boat.

If you run a serch in the External section on the site, you'll see a ton of info swaying to you probably hold off on coating them...
Old 10-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I just mentioned they didn't need to be coated cause they are stainless. They won't rust out like normal mild steel headers that aren't coated.

I have had better luck LOOKS wise in the past with mild steel headers that were coated.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I have had better luck LOOKS wise in the past with mild steel headers that were coated.
Like I said about my stang headers, they are coated stainless and they look good!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NothinButBowTies
What type of gains did you guys see from these? Comparable to the other long tube brands?
Ya, has anyone seen any measurable gains from these headers on otherwise stock engines. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did I read correctly that Dynatech is shipping #5 and #7 wires that actually fit now? Mine did not even come close to fitting. I had to take some longer MSD wires I had laying around and cut them to fit. Also, I had the passenger side frame clearance issue with mine.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
What do you guys think of this system? Good, bad, anything.

I have heard about the passenger(?) header hitting the frame, or being close to it. I contacted dynatech about it and they said they have built better jigs so the headers fit better.

With it having cats, and a y-pipe instead of duals, it doesn't open the exhaust too much correct? Currently the exhaust is stock except for a flowmaster with dual tips. Thanks in advance.
Well I hoped to post details on the install and overall impressions and acceleration tests to this thread this weekend. Go my kit in yesterday and they are the wrong set They are for the 6.0 and the y pipe is wrong and they have an egr hanging off the passenger header. Gotta get them swapped out.

I have at least had a chance to look them over. I was impressed with the construction. Great looking welds and no slag and such left laying around. Kit came with 2 plug wires, gaskets, bolts... everything needed to put them in except perhaps some anti-seeze for the bolts.

Hopefully have this straightend out this week and on the truck next weekend. Dynatech must be having a big blow-out. I see lots of promotions listed here and other places. I got mine for under a grand shipped. Well almost got them

Quick Reply: Dynatech Supermaxx