Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dynatech SuperMaxx install

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dynatech SuperMaxx install

Hey All,
Spent entire day Saturday installing my new headers. Lengthy process but of the three sets of headers I've installed in my career without a doubt the easiest of them. I followed the instructions. Hardest parts were getting the dip stick tub out and couple of the original manifold bolts near the firewall were a pain to get anything onto and wanted to round off. I finally managed to get them out with a ratchet wrench.

I've read about fitment problems and frame bangs. I have none of them. Clearance is good all around. I did grind off a couple bolts per the instructions for couple heat shields as they might have touched the cats. 2 plug wires do come in direct contact with the headers on the drivers side. My temp fix is to stuff aluminum foil between the headers and wires. Need to find a couple different wires.

The truck is definately louder now. With the Corsa it really sounds mean! Little to loud now for my likings at WOT. Cruise volume is still acceptable but does drone abit in a small grade pull. Might try out the quiter touring muffler by Corsa.

Performance gains according to my G-timer are amazing. 0-60 from previous best of 5.92 to 5.38 seconds. 1/4 mile times from previous best of 14.43 to 13.92! Air is better, cooler now, since my last runs which would help a bit.

I highly recommend these headers!
Old 10-31-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I glad to finally see someone giving some performance reviews on these headers. I will be ordering a set during Christmas. One question though how much was the shipping on those bad boys? I know the box is hudge, and it weighs 71 pounds, I work for UPS and shipping can be pretty expensive on a box that size.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, nice gains, more than expected.....glad to hear they have fixed the fitment issue. Did they included heat sheild "socks" for those plugs?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by onequick5.3
how much was the shipping on those bad boys? I know the box is hudge, and it weighs 71 pounds,
51 from Lubock, TX to Central KY.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by O3GMC
Wow, nice gains, more than expected.....glad to hear they have fixed the fitment issue. Did they included heat sheild "socks" for those plugs?
Yeah the gains are more than I expected. It pulls muccchhhh harder on the bottom. Nothing in the kit for the plugs. Do you recommend "socks"? Where do you find them?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Summit racing or Jegs should have socks to protect the wires
Old 10-31-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice gains, makes me feel better about ordering mine. Can't wait for that brown truck to stop at my house. Did you coat them or leave them in bare stainless form?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

long story short, I had fitment issues with the pass.side header, emailed them about my concerns, they were awesome about it, sent me a new header, socks for those two plugs, and new gaskets+bolts. They said at the time that they were not shipping the MSD wires, but socks for the stock wires instead. I tried the stock wires but for some reason one or both were bad...although fitment was good.....so I just put on the MSD wires w/socks and all is good. Although the heat from the wire/sock resting against the header has made the wire very brittle.....I've been considering ordering a whole new set of wires.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

Very nice gains. Thanks for taking the time to test and post that. Sounds like your going to have fun with those. Also interesting about the Corsa Sport being too loud at WOT and having a little droan pulling up a hill. Maybe too much droan pulling a trailer. If you find a touring muffler without the rest of the cat back may be the way to go.

Congradulations on a successfull install.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
Nice gains, makes me feel better about ordering mine. Can't wait for that brown truck to stop at my house. Did you coat them or leave them in bare stainless form?
Bare stainless. I don't see a need for coating although a lot do. Already turning a nice bronze tone.