Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Dyno numbers tomorrow on ecz71 with radix!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes in my last reply under the EDIT i explained about the term "pulley" in the L world. when we say "2 lbs pulley" - it certainly means 2 psi OVER the stock 8 psi. i can understand why people thought i was cockey when i said an L with a 2 lbs pulley can beat a radix equiped truck at 10 psi. i never meant to say that.

as for how much power is added through 1 psi, that is hard to explain as psi is a measure of resistence, not total airflow like CFM. but saying that, again if you look to my reply at 8 psi, the stock L makes around 350-355 rwhp on a dynoject in average air (not hot). with a 6 lbs pulley (adding a total of 6 extra to make 14 psi total) guys are only making 400-410 rwhp (over 500 rwtq) since this is way way out of the efficiency range. the real gain is real world street track time as the tq and hp comes in earlier and you have more usable power earlier, but when you get towards the peak, the heat of the Eaton blower is pushing hot air at that blower rpm.

the max psi on a stock motor is really 15 psi if you want to beat on it like i do as a daily driver. the weak point is the rods. put in a better forged rod and you can really push the boost with a KB or a Works blower easily over 25 psi +
Old 07-24-2004, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
the weak point is the rods.
I found this out first hand, behind the wheel, 2 Decembers ago, with 12psi and a 50 shot.

Old 07-25-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

hey i get flamed around here because i dont completely agree with you guys and yet i am both an LS1 owner and an LSx truck owner that happens to drive an L as his daily driver. i know the strengths and weaknesses of both platforms and am ready to admit to both. i keep up with both sides of the fence and will be quick to whip up on the L owners about their big heads with their trucks that have no seating capacity, no function in the workplace/bad weather, and horrid gas milage.

there is you have to admit a LOT of brand blindness in this forum. i am just not brand loyal. i just admit where both can fail, including the LSx motor. i hear about all these trucks that will eat up modded Lightnings - yet the top 25 type lists arent even comparable. i have been to national, if you want to call it that, GM EFI races like the TR Shootout and that compared to the level of competition to the FFW/NMRA truck series isnt even close. i am not going to talk about the ONE 9 second L that is racing around and i wont talk about the ONE fast turbo truck of parish. i will look to the average fast truck on either board and notice there is a lot of catching up to do in the GM camp. probably has to do with the average L owner isnt a worktruck/family truck guy. 12s are boring in the L world. they arent over here. 11-10 second daily driver trucks are the talk on the other side of the fence remember fellas.
It's a lot easier to take a lightning and swap pulleys, add a pump, and reprogram the computer.

Taking a truck that runs high 13's stock according to you, and putting it into the 12's is boring. You can do that with less than a grand and a couple hours time.

I took my truck from a 16.3 stock, to a 14.3 so far. That to me is pretty impressive. I did not have the luxury of having a factory blown motor.

You also cannot rag on the LSx motor. I hear of lightnings and cobras dieing quite often (hence the reason the zone rep goes out to every broken motor to inspect for mods)

It costs money to play games. I was just contradicting your original statement, but it seems as though it was all a bunch of misunderstanding. I typically think if someone says "a 2 lb. pulley" they mean a 2 lb pulley, not a 10 lb pulley.

Why compare the 10 lb radix on an ECSB to a 10lb L? Wouldn't it be more fair to compare the regular cab to the L? If so, I would say the race could depend entirely on the driver. But, with our higher compression, I think we would be making more power.

Would be a good race.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

i only compared a 10 psi radix ECSB to my type of truck because YOU run 9-10 psi and on the first page (at 12:33am) you said you whip up on Ls all day.

where did i rag on LSx motors? i guess you didnt read the reply on this page where i simply said i stay informed about both platforms better than the average joe on a ford or GM site and am ready to admit the faults of both camps. this site (like most of the ford sites) cant do this. they are too full of brand blindness.

as for what platform is "easier" or more "boring" to make run faster, i dont care. i dont see it as being not as worthy. we dont rag on LS1 TA or Camaros because they are light and designed to rip up the corners and the drag strip. it is truely run what you brung IMO and you dont see L owners bitching about not being able to haul, tow, carry kids, or work in tough conditions. it is a niche vehicle. we bought it for a reason just like your platform and enjoy it plenty. but i dont buy into any reason why going from low 16 to low 14s is any worthier than taking an L and pushing it into the 11s. BTW - Ls dont need any pumps added to the fuel system. we have dual intank fuel pumps factory and 42 lbs injectors - good for over 500/600 at the motor.

as for breaking SVT motors - sounds like hearsay. bad tunes and idiot owners will break anything - just like this site.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

ok now quit talking about blowers. you are going to make me want one all over again.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Another factor to compare is the base price of these vehicles... Base price of a RCSB LSX compared to a L. Your gonna have over 10 grand left over to play with your Chevy and for that money you can really get some stuff done.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:19 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let get back on topic here!!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

where did i rag on LSx motors? i guess you didnt read the reply on this page where i simply said i stay informed about both platforms better than the average joe on a ford or GM site and am ready to admit the faults of both camps. this site (like most of the ford sites) cant do this. they are too full of brand blindness.
here:

at these power levels, these trucks can be taken to the limit over and over due to fuel systems, forged rotating assembly, and trannys. the GMC cant compare as it was NEVER designed to go fast or support that kind of power. you all know that you have a good chance of breaking your silicon based pistons at boost.
I am just saying that you are saying we cannot compare to the L, but several people are making big numbers on stock motors. Some guys over 500 to the wheels. Parish has made big numbers, and his only problem has been head gaskets. (as far as internals go) You can rag on our tranny's but not the engines.

as for what platform is "easier" or more "boring" to make run faster, i dont care. i dont see it as being not as worthy. we dont rag on LS1 TA or Camaros because they are light and designed to rip up the corners and the drag strip.... but i dont buy into any reason why going from low 16 to low 14s is any worthier than taking an L and pushing it into the 11s.
You said this in a previous post:
i will look to the average fast truck on either board and notice there is a lot of catching up to do in the GM camp. probably has to do with the average L owner isnt a worktruck/family truck guy. 12s are boring in the L world. they arent over here.
It's funny how I was agreeing with you and then you make the above comment. It seems like you just want to argue for no reason. 12's are boring to you guys (you said it) because it is only 1 second off the et (going by your 13.9.) Well, going by most of the regular cab trucks here running high 14's, 13's are pretty boring here (knocking 1 second off the ET). 12's are a little more exciting here because people put a lot of effort into getting our trucks there. You started with a blown platform, and that does make it easier for you, you cannot argue that. I am not saying it's a bad thing, that's cool, that's what you wanted. I wanted to be able to take my worktruck out on the weekends and have fun with it (hence the toolbox in the back.)

BTW - Ls dont need any pumps added to the fuel system. we have dual intank fuel pumps factory and 42 lbs injectors - good for over 500/600 at the motor.
I was just going off what a customer/old high school buddy of mine (L owner) said. He blew his motor because it leaned out. He had a diablo programmer on it, and a pulley. He said a fuel pump went out. I guess he meant one of the factory ones. He took everything off to attempt a warranty claim, but the moron that owned it before him had a predator chip in it (I could have the programmer's mixed up though)

There is an 03 cobra in a shop around here all torn down. They said it broke a rod running 15 lbs of boost. I don't know what they run stock. I am just saying I've seen just as many broken fords as chevy's and I am around a lot more f-bodys. When you race, you break things, no matter what you are driving. It doesn't make them ****.

Don't think you have the ultimate "god" truck with a perfect engine, tranny, and whatever else. You guys have your problems, we have ours. Who gives a **** about the rest...

as for breaking SVT motors - sounds like hearsay. bad tunes and idiot owners will break anything - just like this site.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FirstGen
Another factor to compare is the base price of these vehicles... Base price of a RCSB LSX compared to a L. Your gonna have over 10 grand left over to play with your Chevy and for that money you can really get some stuff done.
You can say that about anything. Let's not go there.

You can buy a vega and put a crazy small block in it for under 5k and it will kick all of our asses. That leaves a lot of money to be played with too.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

when you can pull a trailer with a vega when can compare those two.

Quick Reply: Dyno numbers tomorrow on ecz71 with radix!!!!!!