Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

E-Fan/Over Heating Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:43 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswtx
only 295s out back right now 19x11.5 wheels. Going to switch to 345s with 19x13 wheels later this year..
Very Nice! I bet you can't get any traction!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
its been 100* here and ive never had a issue with the stock Tstat or the rigged 170* Tstat..

Ill be willing to be the Polarity is backwards like he said..

I had a 3 bank relay setup to the A/C clutch switch.. Got tired of the fan kicking on and off so i ran that wire to a switch in the cab..

PCM tells the fans to come on low at 173 and off at 172
I can flip the switch and one fan comes on high, and then flip the other switch and both come on high..
This is how I want to run mine, do you have any pics?? WHat type of switch did you use to power the high side of the fans?? Did you use a fuse or just a 30amp rated switch??? I want to control mine and not have it cycle with the AC...TIA
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
This is how I want to run mine, do you have any pics?? WHat type of switch did you use to power the high side of the fans?? Did you use a fuse or just a 30amp rated switch??? I want to control mine and not have it cycle with the AC...TIA
You actually do want it to cycle with the A/C, if the fans are not allowed to cycle with the A/C there won't be enough airflow across the condenser when idle or slow speed driving. That will lead to high head pressure condition which can then cause blown A/C system O-rings, condenser failure, and puts alot of strain on the compressor. I know, I just went through this with a worn out clutch fan being the culprit. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KDT
The harness that i got from Caspers was built for a trailblazer ss e-fan conversion.
then i think you have the wrong harness.the tbss conversion harness is to be used with the ls1 fans not the truck fans.does your harness look like this one?
Attached Thumbnails E-Fan/Over Heating Issue?-fankit.jpg  
Old 06-23-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
You actually do want it to cycle with the A/C, if the fans are not allowed to cycle with the A/C there won't be enough airflow across the condenser when idle or slow speed driving. That will lead to high head pressure condition which can then cause blown A/C system O-rings, condenser failure, and puts alot of strain on the compressor. I know, I just went through this with a worn out clutch fan being the culprit. Good luck.
I turn the manual switch on if my A/C is running.. just hate to hear it constantly turning on and off..

Here is my setup..

Green switch up top is my Fan #2 on high, Red LED Illuminates when the fan is on.

Red LED in the middle is illuminated when my Inverter is on.

Green LED illumnates when my Water pump for my Intercooler is on.

Red Switch at the bottom is to turn Fan 1 & 2 on low.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS

That Diagram is pretty easy, and it works.
I used 3 30amp Relays with Mini Switchs to manually turn them on.

If your havin problems i could make a harness for you.

Last edited by nonnieselman; 06-23-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Wrong Picture
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

KDT does the denali have the 34" radiator like the 05 / 06 trucks?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 PM
KDT
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
KDT does the denali have the 34" radiator like the 05 / 06 trucks?
Yes it has the 34" radiator. The positve and negitive were backwards on the harness. My buddie just switched them around today. Caspers does very very nice top notch work! The harness looks like oem or better quility! The fans are up and running, this time pushing air at the motor! I'm still wondering about the noise coming out of them? They aren't bad in the car but at high speed you sure can hear them! Also when the fans do turn on after the truck has been running the driver's side fan comes on first, is this normal? I'll check it out better tomorrow when it will be warmer here, today was only high 70ish.
Caspers also put in a delay so when the ac kick's on it doesn't draw all those amp's at one time! It's like a 3-5 second delay.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty good....glad it all worked out for you.
Just a point....and there's surprisingly ALOT of people out there who think the fans are there to blow air past/onto the motor to cool it...not so. The fans DRAW air THROUGH the radiator to cool the fluid which then passes around the motor to cool it.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the driver's side fan is normally the one connected to the temperature activator. If you start up the truck with the defroster on, you should hear the other one cycle on and off.

Quick Reply: E-Fan/Over Heating Issue?