Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

E-Fan/Over Heating Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the stock alternator upgraded to 180 amp. Then the guy failed to mention that when you upgrade like that, the output won't be as great at lower rpms. So I put a smaller pulley on. That fixed the problem with the a/c being off. But when I kick the a/c on it really brings the system down, even worse in gear.

I'm thinking if I just get it tuned right, where the idle with the a/c won't dip below 650rpm I should be ok.

Also, I talked to Nelson Performance and they said their harness would fix my problem. I don't see what their harness will do that I'm not already doing. Besides the computer controlling the fans.

Here's how I have them wired using a controller from O'Reilly's:
Old 06-26-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same prob with lites dimming and so on. I have stock alternator and it turned out I needed a better battery. I dunno if my stocker was just tired or just not capable or servicing the new load. Anyway went with new Optima Red Top...prob solved. I did have some tuning done as well, and maybe he played around with some settings, but cud be that the clutch fan OEM trucks need a better battery? R/
Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dhpro
I had the same prob with lites dimming and so on. I have stock alternator and it turned out I needed a better battery. I dunno if my stocker was just tired or just not capable or servicing the new load. Anyway went with new Optima Red Top...prob solved. I did have some tuning done as well, and maybe he played around with some settings, but cud be that the clutch fan OEM trucks need a better battery? R/
That's what I have, the Red Top Optima ~900ca/~700cca (not sure). Bought it February 2007. I'll see about a bigger battery though, maybe borrow one and try it out. Thanks.

Still thinking idle w/ a/c on is too low...
Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevyerett

Still thinking idle w/ a/c on is too low...
I idle @ just south of 1000rpm...closer to 750. PM slowhawk and ask him if he did anything special to sort out mine. He did lots of mech and tuning on mine and really knows his !
Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Idle speeds 56oC to 104oC AC on...in gear.
This is for an 06 6.0L truck.

Just looking at the diagram...I'd be making sure the ground/neg wire from the fans are the same sizes as the Pos+ cables. Diagram makes them look smaller.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Teching In

does anyone sell an all-in-one e-fan package that is worth a ****?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Totally depends on what you're willing to pay.
Mine cost me about $150.00 all up...but are worth around $1000 by the time you add in the stainless shroudand time to manufacture it.
I have heard of some people paying $500 for a good 'complete' kit.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have any problems with my 1994 LT1 Efans with new motors.

This is how i have my wired up, with 3 relays
PCM controls the "Low" Speed and i manually control "High" Speed

I dont let the A/C compressor Switch my fans on high. I have that wire goin in my cab so i can control it. I hate having the fan cyclying with the A/C, I just leave it on most times if im not moving.

I hated how low my truck idled, i have it set at
In Gear A/C Off-----In Gear A/C On-------P/N A/C Off------ P/N A/C On
600------------------- 615----------------650----------------665

I get no diming lights or anything screwy, Stock 105A altenator and 2 800?cca batteries.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

so the 12v from the ac is just a trigger not supplying any amps for the fans?? I am worried about underwiring or not fusing it correct if I just have a manual high setting.

I have a 3 relay harness thanks for the help Jonathan.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
so the 12v from the ac is just a trigger not supplying any amps for the fans?? I am worried about underwiring or not fusing it correct if I just have a manual high setting.

I have a 3 relay harness thanks for the help Jonathan.
When you use relays you will get your Power from your battery, Then the A/C is just to get a signal to close the circuit in the relay that sends power to the fans..

Fuse your Power wires to the relay and use no less than 12ga wire. i used high temp. 10ga cause i had a ton of scrap from work
PM me if you need some more help. im fixin to shut my computer down but ill have the good ole cell fone.

Quick Reply: E-Fan/Over Heating Issue?