Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

E-fan setup??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide which is better--the rad probe or the threaded probe. Any suggestions?? THANKS!!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

it is the green wire on the relay. it will turn it on when the a/c comes on.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

From some of the comments I've read I wouldn't let most of you guys anywhere near either one of my Silverados with at wrench in your hand, but at least your asking questions which means your TRYING to figure things out before you learn the hard way. There's something to be said for that. LS1HOWTO is always a big help with this kind of stuff. The PCM monitors the ECT and at a certain point provides a gnd to you fans to allow them to turn "ON". I've heard the 05 trucks are converting to e-fans so maybe some of you inexperienced guys should wait till you can look at an 05 to see how GM does it. If you use the relay system you should use two relays. One for normal useage and the other to cool your A/C condenser if you happen to turn your A?C "ON" before your engine warms up. That's the only time that circuit would be used. Be SURE to solder ALL your connectors. The heat and vibrations under your hood will eventually bite you if you use CRIMP connections. You can use one of the adjustable temperature probes that goes inside of the upper radiator neck to turn your fans "ON". Flex-a-lite sells it. As far as the relays go you can just buy 2 SPDT 30 AMP relays at any electrical supply for $5 including the relay socket NOT $40 at Summit. It would be a big waste to pay someone to have your PCM reflashed just to get the fans to turn on if you havn't done any engine mods. Chances are if your buying your fans on E-bay at a discount you can't afford a headers, cam and StageII heads anyway so having your PCM reflashed is probably a long way off unless you hit the POWERBALL. Good luck winning the lottery. Friends of mine tell me that E-bay is the best place to buy stolen goods. As a matter of fact many Pawn Shops sell the stolen goods they buy and can't get rid of on E-bay. Don't you just love the free market system?
Old 11-18-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
From some of the comments I've read I wouldn't let most of you guys anywhere near either one of my Silverados with at wrench in your hand
Man, what happened to you? Last time I checked this was a forum to help people, not ridicule them for asking questions, however trivial they seem. We all started at one point right? At least they're getting their hands dirty. I've done all the major mods on my truck knowing that I wasn't 100% confident, but the guys here and a couple other places give you the info you wouldn't normally get till you get your hands dirty. Take a step back and read your post next time, came off a little harsh. But then maybe I'm just being a puss.

Andrew
Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

or you can stick in that derale relay and hook it up and call it good. it is simple. yes if you want to run them on two relays you can but it is more wiring. we dont have to look at the 05's. i think they use two temp wires.if you get the pcm tuned they can have it turn the fans on. do not use the vsc. there are way to many probs with it.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

man if i remember right
green--a/c
yellow-ignition
blue-fan 1
red-fan 2
orange -batt-
black -ground
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Orange was fan 1 on my hayden, and red was battery.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the wire I had for my AC

Old 11-18-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

First of all, let me thank everyone who ever answered any of the numerous questions I've posted, all the help is greatly appreciated and when I can help by giving a litle info that I know here and there I do. Second, any idiot can pay $400 for some overpriced e-fans and controller w/ instructions and hook them up on their truck. Some people just arent willing to pay more for crap when they can make something themselves from stock parts and some trial and error for a whole lot less money and can say that they rig that up themselves. I am one of those people, I got a deal on my fans, and when all is said and done I will have e-fans for Less than $200 and I did it all myself with some help from the guys on here. Oh and buy the way I ordered a set of ceramic Thorley Tri-Y's 3 months ago (still dont have them) thats $550 right there and I plan on doing a custom exhaust too. I am also just getting started with mods b/c my truck still isnt on the road yet. So next time you want to write a long post to rag on someone do it somewhere else.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Atta kid, put em in his place. I'll represent for the poor folks as well, modding gets expensive. Not everyone has the luxury of buying off the shelf parts, and we're all here for the same reason, the love of automobiles, so lighten up on the beginners. No one is born with knowledge and know how.

Quick Reply: E-fan setup??