Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

e-fans question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-fans question?

i know a lot of people are running e-fans, this is a question for those of you running ls1 fans w/the nelson harness. i live in south Louisiana and in the summer it gets real hot, so has any of you had over heating problems?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

just my .02 but on the trucks I tend to think the mechanical fans are more worth while. I dont trust E-Fans. Even living in Michigan during the summer it gets to over 100 sometimes....if it's stock with e-fans (05 and up) then fine otherwise I would leave the clutch fan on!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have put efans on everything i have ever owned. never had an overheating problem. plus the improvement of the ac performance makes it well worth it in south la.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the thing with efans if you're worrying about it overheating is setting it up through the computer.

if your thermostat is working properly... you can set the fan to come on when it gets to say 197* and go off again at 195* (considering if your on the stock thermostat). Thats what the factory fans do on 05+, they are set to go on and shut back off, no big deal, just gotta get the right numbers, lol. Everyone's running temps are different so you might have to monitor them before setting the computer to what you want them to do.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in South East Texas, which is about the same weather you would have and with the '05 style electric fans & Nelson harness my truck actually runs cooler than when it had the stock clutch fan. It's not from jumping from 28" to 34" radiator either, as my truck came with the bigger radiator. It's got it's pluses for sure. Alot more room to work in front of the motor (need to change a belt, just reach in there and grab that bad boy). Don't have to listen to the clutch fan when it locks up. Don't have to feel it pull down the motor when it locks up. But all that being said GM still must not trust them on the trucks designed to tow, as they don't come on a 3/4 ton or larger model.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1Bear
I live in South East Texas, which is about the same weather you would have and with the '05 style electric fans & Nelson harness my truck actually runs cooler than when it had the stock clutch fan. It's not from jumping from 28" to 34" radiator either, as my truck came with the bigger radiator. It's got it's pluses for sure. Alot more room to work in front of the motor (need to change a belt, just reach in there and grab that bad boy). Don't have to listen to the clutch fan when it locks up. Don't have to feel it pull down the motor when it locks up. But all that being said GM still must not trust them on the trucks designed to tow, as they don't come on a 3/4 ton or larger model.
Either that, or the higher TQ/HP motors feel less drag from the clutch fans...
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSlow 4.8
the thing with efans if you're worrying about it overheating is setting it up through the computer.

if your thermostat is working properly... you can set the fan to come on when it gets to say 197* and go off again at 195* (considering if your on the stock thermostat). Thats what the factory fans do on 05+, they are set to go on and shut back off, no big deal, just gotta get the right numbers, lol. Everyone's running temps are different so you might have to monitor them before setting the computer to what you want them to do.
You're going to want a bigger split in on and off temps than 2*, or your efans will be cylcling like crazy. 5 to 8 degrees is about right....for instance, I have a 160* thermostat, and my fans are set to come on at 180* and off at 173*. (The fans run on low speed when commanded by the PCM w/o the a/c on). In the fall they will cylce periodically, whereas in the dead heat of summer (90's to 100*), they will often just come on and stay on.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

can you adjust the no off temp of the fan w/the nelson harness or do you have to use something like hptune.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gotcha... ya i knew it had to be more than 2* difference

does that nelson harness work with fans that have a single speed? i just have a junkyard fan that is really strong, has 2 wires.. been needing to get that thing wired to the computer, if i tell nelson what ive got, they can customize it right?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dunno if thats goin to show right... but there are timers and delays in the PCM that you can set.. here is one of mine from awhile back.

Quick Reply: e-fans question?