Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm just going to try to play devil's advocate for the sake of a conversation.

This would take out a lot of time on the build. Tell me that doesn't look like you could drop that in and have it mounted in less than a couple hours (if the bay is ready). Depending on your level of skill, this looks like someone could do this who couldn't do an engine swap. If they didn't have the skill or hadn't yet bought the tools. Lets say you buy something 30+ years old as a roller, or a project without a driveline.

We've got two posts that don't work together. That 745 BBC is NOT getting anywhere near 14mpg. That probably gets what, 6-9mpg on the highway?
Also, that 12K BBC doesn't include the trans like this does.

How much weight do you think you are saving? All the fluids, the cooling system, the exhaust system, fuel. I know the batteries add up, but the batteries can actually be mounted where you want them (me, It would be under the bed), so there is better distribution. I have no clue what the weight saving is on this. I would guess 5-700 pounds, but then add back in the batteries.

I don't have a problem with electric motors. I have never driven one, but the torque is unbeatable, and I like driving with my windows down, and just listening to the environment around me, whether that's in traffic or in the country.

Sure the range thing. Thats dependent on batteries. Charging stations are popping more and more. Around town, no problem. On road trips, you go eat when your car does.

Depending on your state, getting full time HOV access.

How about this one: An rv with solar panels. Travel the country and never need to fill up on gas. The torque would do well in something like that, and youd be able to charge it back up while you stop for where ever for a few days or so.

PS. Yes an electric toothbrush. Just like when I use my ELECTRIC lawnmower, it works better than one of these:

Last edited by adriver; 10-06-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,102 Posts

There are no photovoltaic panels on the market that can keep up with the demand to recharge an EV. So that's not happening yet
Old 10-06-2020, 06:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
People in the south don't have any teeth anyway.
I'd argue that West Virginia has less teeth than per capita than other southern states.

Originally Posted by _zebra
you can't really be that lazy, can you?! electric tooth brush?
Uh, it makes sonic waves to blast the plaque and prevent gingivitis.

Originally Posted by adriver

This would take out a lot of time on the build. Tell me that doesn't look like you could drop that in and have it mounted in less than a couple hours (if the bay is ready). Depending on your level of skill, this looks like someone could do this who couldn't do an engine swap. If they didn't have the skill or hadn't yet bought the tools. Lets say you buy something 30+ years old as a roller, or a project without a driveline.

We've got two posts that don't work together. That 745 BBC is NOT getting anywhere near 14mpg. That probably gets what, 6-9mpg on the highway?

How much weight do you think you are saving? All the fluids, the cooling system, the exhaust system, fuel. I know the batteries add up, but the batteries can actually be mounted where you want them (me, It would be under the bed), so there is better distribution. I have no clue what the weight saving is on this. I would guess 5-700 pounds, but then add back in the batteries.

I don't have a problem with electric motors. I have never driven one, but the torque is unbeatable, and I like driving with my windows down, and just listening to the environment around me, whether that's in traffic or in the country.

Sure the range thing. Thats dependent on batteries. Charging stations are popping more and more. Around town, no problem. On road trips, you go eat when your car does.

How about this one: An rv with solar panels. Travel the country and never need to fill up on gas. The torque would do well in something like that, and youd be able to charge it back up while you stop for where ever for a few days or so.

PS. Yes an electric toothbrush. Just like when I use my ELECTRIC lawnmower, it works better than one of these:
I would love to go offroading with an EV. I imagine crawling around MOAB would be awesome with instant torque and near silent operation to take in the sights and sounds.

Originally Posted by arthursc2
There are no photovoltaic panels on the market that can keep up with the demand to recharge an EV. So that's not happening yet
They are in area 51
Old 10-06-2020, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 801 Likes on 562 Posts

Those electric motors also have cooling systems that need to be plumbed in as well so don't forget that. And I think you missed the joke of my post.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

So, I looked this up, like I do most things. You are saving absolutely 0 weight and here's why:

Model S curb weight: 4880-4950. All aluminum: aluminum suspension components, aluminum body, carbon fiber bulkheads, fiber reinforced structure, plastic roof, nearly 1000lbs in battery and battery protection

2002 Tahoe as configured in pic: 5920 on certified scale. Full tank of dinos, steel *** body, steel *** axles (9.5 swap), boxed frame, boxed rear suspension arms, 3/8 plate rear diff cover, .250 and .120 DOM bumpers, 200lbs+ sound insulation, (5) E ranges, full tank, iron block 5.3 that can keep churning, even during a 4 min fill up for another 500mi range, etc

So, you're telling me that an electric car saves weight, when a smaller, ALL aluminum and composite sedan barely weighs less than my all steel #merica truck?

Here's another kicker in the teeth for ya, the title for my truck says from the factory the taxed weight was 5125. So, 200lbs lighter on the sedan with all that aluminum and plastic? lol. Sorry, electric does not save weight and you need to retain some form of a cooling system and you need to utilize that cooling system to heat/cool the batteries so they stay at the optimum temp for extended range as well.

The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

So, I looked this up, like I do most things. You are saving absolutely 0 weight and here's why:

Model S curb weight: 4880-4950. All aluminum: aluminum suspension components, aluminum body, carbon fiber bulkheads, fiber reinforced structure, plastic roof, nearly 1000lbs in battery and battery protection

2002 Tahoe as configured in pic: 5920 on certified scale. Full tank of dinos, steel *** body, steel *** axles (9.5 swap), boxed frame, boxed rear suspension arms, 3/8 plate rear diff cover, .250 and .120 DOM bumpers, 200lbs+ sound insulation, (5) E ranges, full tank, iron block 5.3 that can keep churning, even during a 4 min fill up for another 500mi range, etc

So, you're telling me that an electric car saves weight, when a smaller, ALL aluminum and composite sedan barely weighs less than my all steel #merica truck?

Here's another kicker in the teeth for ya, the title for my truck says from the factory the taxed weight was 5125. So, 200lbs lighter on the sedan with all that aluminum and plastic? lol. Sorry, electric does not save weight and you need to retain some form of a cooling system and you need to utilize that cooling system to heat/cool the batteries so they stay at the optimum temp for extended range as well.

Needs rock sliders.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Not instantly, but i said using solar panels would only be for long term, such as RVing while camping, between destinations.
Originally Posted by Bgbldodge
Those electric motors also have cooling systems that need to be plumbed in as well so don't forget that. And I think you missed the joke of my post.
I wasn't responding to you.

Since you used a tesla model S. That vehicle has a 42KWH pack is 160 miles. 50KWH pack is 230 mile range. 70KWH pack is 300 mile range.

A quick search tells me a 72 cell panel is 36" x 77", and makes 375W. 4 roof panels would be 1.4KW. 6 panels is 2.1KW. Depends on location, weather, time of year. I think a fair number is 6 hours a day for calculation, thats 12.6KW a day. You recharge your 6 panels 70KWH pack in 6 days. Lets say you are in the southwest in the summer. No clouds, and sunny for 15 hours a day. Even using 10 hours of sun, you recharge that 70KWH pack with only 4 panels in the same 6 1/2 days. Its not a requirement to use just those either. We can go either way with those too. Anyone who is willing to do this I can only GUESS, would be willing to do more. It really wouldn't be that hard to build fold out panels, create shade and double your area.

This quick search says, "Curb weight just over 4000 pounds"
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...20other%20two.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Been on the list since I wrecked a body mount 2 yrs ago. Just keep filling my plate with other priorities lmao
dantheman1540 (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Not instantly, but i said using solar panels would only be for long term, such as RVing while camping, between destinations.

I wasn't responding to you.

Since you used a tesla model S. That vehicle has a 42KWH pack is 160 miles. 50KWH pack is 230 mile range. 70KWH pack is 300 mile range.

A quick search tells me a 72 cell panel is 36" x 77", and makes 375W. 4 roof panels would be 1.4KW. 6 panels is 2.1KW. Depends on location, weather, time of year. I think a fair number is 6 hours a day for calculation, thats 12.6KW a day. You recharge your 6 panels 70KWH pack in 6 days. Lets say you are in the southwest in the summer. No clouds, and sunny for 15 hours a day. Even using 10 hours of sun, you recharge that 70KWH pack with only 4 panels in the same 6 1/2 days. Its not a requirement to use just those either. We can go either way with those too. Anyone who is willing to do this I can only GUESS, would be willing to do more. It really wouldn't be that hard to build fold out panels, create shade and double your area.

This quick search says, "Curb weight just over 4000 pounds"
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...20other%20two.
Range: none of the options are still equivocal to the 500+ I can get in the Tahoe, with the caveat (very important one) of the ability to take under 10mins to refill to 100% range again

LMAO 6.5 DAYS for a recharge. lel. Maybe if you were living off grid that would be fine, but this isnt the Oregon Trail. I dont want to spend 6mo trying to cross the US if I need to. Also, my comment was related to recharged on demand. IE, while in use. IE unlimited. IE I wasnt wrong

Im still not wrong, I know how to google. ***** pretty neat, give it a shot

00pooterSS (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Range: none of the options are still equivocal to the 500+ I can get in the Tahoe, with the caveat (very important one) of the ability to take under 10mins to refill to 100% range again

LMAO 6.5 DAYS for a recharge. lel. Maybe if you were living off grid that would be fine, but this isnt the Oregon Trail. I dont want to spend 6mo trying to cross the US if I need to. Also, my comment was related to recharged on demand. IE, while in use. IE unlimited. IE I wasnt wrong

Im still not wrong, I know how to google. ***** pretty neat, give it a shot

1. You don't get 500+ miles on one tank in your tahoe.
2. Nobody said this was a race. Its an RV. If you are just taking your time, then it works out perfect. Its not like you can't stop and use a charging port the cars use that are all over anyways. How about a week long vacation with the family. You go out, and its ready to go back about when you are.
Last, You don't need to be a jackass about it. I included my link. I didn't just make **** up. We found two different numbers, for two different years on two different sites. SO ******* WHAT.

Quick Reply: Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.