Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Anyone who is 100% against electric cars shouldn't be allowed to use cordless power tools, tooth bushes, or toys with their significant other.
Originally Posted by tjmath
THIS

When I first met my lady she saw the truck and was like ohhhhh. First time I stayed at her place and fired it up from the balcony while she was still in bed she rolls over and says "that is so ******* hot".

Electric cars are "cool" sure but they are definitely not the end all be all of the future. Not yet. The charging is terrible. They have no idea how to recycle or dispose of the batteries yet. Sure one day when those things are rectified they will become more popular.

Sounds like those of us with nice exhausts have all the toys we need, batteries included

Last edited by arthursc2; 10-06-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

So I am on a tangent today and I found this surprisingly attractive truck rendering (note, none have been built except a handful of test beds) 8k rating puts it at what my Tahoe could do, nearly 20yrs ago tho

But the implementation of the fuel cell really changes the game

https://nikolamotor.com/badger
Old 10-06-2020, 02:46 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Wonder how they handle the software on this... I did EV powertrain control software design for GM and it's far from a walk in the park, to say the least...
Old 10-06-2020, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Sounds like those of us with nice exhausts have all the toys we need, batteries included
Thats a fact jack.

So I am on a tangent today and I found this surprisingly attractive truck rendering (note, none have been built except a handful of test beds) 8k rating puts it at what my Tahoe could do, nearly 20yrs ago tho

But the implementation of the fuel cell really changes the game

https://nikolamotor.com/badger
Nikola is localish to me. They have been developing this thing forever. As well as their all electric side by side... and pwc... The idea is ******* rad, but its just taking them so long that I feel like a lot of people have lost interest in it.

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Wonder how they handle the software on this... I did EV powertrain control software design for GM and it's far from a walk in the park, to say the least...
You think they thought that far ahead??
Old 10-06-2020, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

1) 30gal, actually. Total capacity 56gal; but if I am being honest I dont run it below 1/4 tank, which is ~10gal remaining so that leaves 46gal and I dont fill both tanks to 100% because (full disclosure here) the evap system cant keep up with both tanks and the second tank pressurizes itself. I havent sorted that out. So I run heavy with ~40gal when I do fill. 40*14 (she gets ~17 on the highway, but I am shorting it for the simps)=560. You know, the 500+ I've been claiming since I went and added up all the annual fuel averages: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-1990/
2) yes I am a jackass, first time on the internet?
3) of course its about me, I'm the only one that has provided research, numbers, shown my work and demonstrated this is a stupid idea
Bro, did you even read your link? It was a speculative article about the design Tesla would have to put into the Model S. The model S didnt even exist when that article was written

Everything about what you post is hypothetical. I am thus far the only one bringing math and data to the table
My article doesn't say hypothetical specs, it says released specs. Okay things may have changed before release date, and it looks like they did. If they released multiple battery sizes, perhaps thats it. Don't know, and at this point in the thread, I don't care, and it doesn't matter.

Yes you do still think its all about you. I was trying to brainstorm to find an ideal niche, but that wasn't okay with you. "theres no vehicle and no person this would work well for because you have your tahoe. Everyone should duplicate your tahoe because that would be perfect for everybody."

So when I say you're being a jackass, its because you think it can only be about your vehicle, and everyone should just do what you did. It can only be about making vacations the way you would. It has to be a road trip in an RV, and not actually stopping anywhere because that's how you would do it. Its because you got pissy about needing to use the same websites you use. Its about you being so incredibly narrow minded you can't even imagine a vehicle being used beyond your self by any of the other 300+ million people in the country or 7 billion people on the planet. I'm just asking who this might work for, and you jumped to: this won't work for anyone, because it won't work for you.

THIS

When I first met my lady she saw the truck and was like ohhhhh. First time I stayed at her place and fired it up from the balcony while she was still in bed she rolls over and says "that is so ******* hot".

Electric cars are "cool" sure but they are definitely not the end all be all of the future. Not yet. The charging is terrible. They have no idea how to recycle or dispose of the batteries yet. Sure one day when those things are rectified they will become more popular.
Ok, but after you've been with that lady for a while and you need to get out, you can go start your EV, take off for whatever reason you have. Come home, slip back in the garage, slip back in the bad, and she will never wake up.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adriver
Ok, but after you've been with that lady for a while and you need to get out, you can go start your EV, take off for whatever reason you have. Come home, slip back in the garage, slip back in the bad, and she will never wake up.
I can do that now. Just take her car. Or better yet don't have to be a sneak and just tell her I'm going out with the boys. Or even better still.... I start the RZR in the garage, load it on the trailer, start the truck, hook the truck to the trailer, load the RZR on the trailer and go riding for the day, come back, and get a hug and a kiss when I am home.

In other words... I really couldn't care less about sneaking around quietly in the middle of the night.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:32 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

It's like the argument I've had on other forums about RC cars "Battery VS Nitro"

Battery is faster(speed)
Battery is easier (no tuning)
Nitro is more maintenance
Nitro can't play in the house

Take a battery & nitro car/truck to a public park.
Run them simultaneously around a crowd of people...
the Nitro car/truck will get more eyes on it..

WHY?

I think we all know the answer to the question.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedXray:
arthursc2 (10-07-2020), tjmath (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

I can do that now. Just take her car. Or better yet don't have to be a sneak and just tell her I'm going out with the boys. Or even better still.... I start the RZR in the garage, load it on the trailer, start the truck, hook the truck to the trailer, load the RZR on the trailer and go riding for the day, come back, and get a hug and a kiss when I am home.

In other words... I really couldn't care less about sneaking around quietly in the middle of the night.
Thanks for the story. It was just an equal counter point. I also didn't imply or infer there was anything nefarious about it, that's just where you took it.
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Sure, if you wanna waste a dick **** load of money, then this idea is viable

better?

Ya narrow minded ****
Old 10-06-2020, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adriver
Thanks for the story. It was just an equal counter point. I also didn't imply or infer there was anything nefarious about it, that's just where you took it.
I mean why else would you leave your woman in bed to leave your home without her knowing? Sure there was nothing you said to make it evident but it was certainly implicit in your verbiage.

Sure, if you wanna waste a dick **** load of money, then this idea is viable

better?

Ya narrow minded ****
I like this guy ^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.