Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by adriver
I thought this was pretty cool. I know some just like paying for gasoline, but nothing beats the torque curve of an electric motor. Well, this company just designed a drop in electric crate motor to fit in place of a small block chevy. 25-35K for 533hp and 800+ ft lbs. Gas savings annually, and depending on what the warranty is, this doesn't seem horrible for how simple it looks like they are making it.
Just like paying for gasoline? No we understand that paying the extra for a hybrid or electric car does not equal the savings in fuel to justify the purchase. You pay more for the car than you save in fuel. For example, I know someone that bought a brand new 30k ish car to save on fuel, guess what you already had a car that got around 20 mpg and the car you now gets 45 but costs you 600 a month, and 100+ in insurance and saves you maybe 80 dollars a month in fuel.. that's why we like paying for fuel.

Nothing beats the torque curve of and electric motor? Have you seen what todays diesels are doing?

25-30k plus batteries, charging stations, fab to install AND BATTERIES AND CONTROLLERS plus being able to somehow integrate it all. Then you have to worry about it being street legal in your state. You're talking about spending what 60k or so to save a couple thousand a year in fuel?

In my opinion if we're going to talk about nothing beats.... nothing beats the sound of a V8, or the ability to service it yourself
The following users liked this post:
tjmath (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by tjmath
If I’m trolling... you’re just feeding it. And there’s not **** you can do about it... freedom of speech and all.

But yeah you’re probably right trolling you at this point.

Lets look at your post:

I stand by my statement of if you have to SNEAK out in any way shape or form there is something sketchy about it. But hey if you like to sneak in and out of your bed with your partner that’s your choice. Not something I would ever be interested in doing. Listing that as a “selling point” for an EV, or this crate electric drop in, is ******* stupid to be blunt.
This is asinine to keep arguing this. How about you stop thinking people are pieces of ****, and maybe someone wants to not wake up their spouses when they go to work, golf, or errands. You made a (stupid) point, and I made an equally valid counter point. Your one argument that you are stuck on doesn't need to apply to only you, and neither does the counter point. I've said my point, and if you don't understand that, as you keep arguing the same nonsense, thats on you.

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Bro post #3 in this thread was literally ALL real numbers 😂

I can use whatever lingo I want, you clearly aren't reading anyway. What's narrow minded about a hashtag? I think the narrow mindedness comes from not accepting the fact that hashtags are common place in online communications, but hey. What do I know?
Not relevant numbers. Does your tahoe have 533hp and 800+ft lbs of torque and get that same 14 mpg?

Fuel cost over the last 18 years??? Its $1.89 here. If you really want to use your fuel numbers $2.55 a gallon, once we factor in 91/93, should we round it down to $3 a gallon?

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Let's bottom-line this: if you honestly believe that you'll always be able to charge an ev for free, for perpetuity, you are very foolish. I don't have "proof" it won't stay free, but you don't have proof otherwise. My belief is far more grounded in reality, though.

Richard
In certain places, yes I definitely think you will. I think tourist areas, national parks, certain businesses ALWAYS will. Even for local businesses like grocery stores, malls, other places for shopping, its a reason people specifically go to those locations. Locations that create their own solar not only does it not cost them anything, its part of the sustainable resource crowd that do support that idea, like IKEA.
You've called me foolish for believing this, but haven't given a single reason why, only your opinion.

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Just like paying for gasoline? No we understand that paying the extra for a hybrid or electric car does not equal the savings in fuel to justify the purchase. You pay more for the car than you save in fuel. For example, I know someone that bought a brand new 30k ish car to save on fuel, guess what you already had a car that got around 20 mpg and the car you now gets 45 but costs you 600 a month, and 100+ in insurance and saves you maybe 80 dollars a month in fuel.. that's why we like paying for fuel.

Nothing beats the torque curve of and electric motor? Have you seen what todays diesels are doing?

25-30k plus batteries, charging stations, fab to install AND BATTERIES AND CONTROLLERS plus being able to somehow integrate it all. Then you have to worry about it being street legal in your state. You're talking about spending what 60k or so to save a couple thousand a year in fuel?

In my opinion if we're going to talk about nothing beats.... nothing beats the sound of a V8, or the ability to service it yourself
You are completely exaggerating on the extra costs. That may have been what it was 10 years ago, but those prices have fallen drastically in the last 5 years.
Tesla just secured 100K acres to try to mine their own lithium in Nevada. Tesla may soon be able to drastically cut costs down on batteries.

This entire design was there for someone to drop right in. I would fully expect anyone who can drop this in can figure out the batteries. Its really not that difficult.
Why wouldn't this be street legal?

Diesels aren't always an option. They can produce that torque, but thats going to require a lot more space and be a lot heavier than what this system will be. Do we really want to get into the maintenance costs of diesel? As I said in the first post, the warranty and (longevity of this system is going to be a big part of if to factor in ROI).

Nobody wants to even factor in that relying on solar requires visibility of the sun, but it removes the requirement of fuel.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Tahoe has made 472 to the wheels and was still getting about the same MPG when I wasn't planting it. After a reconfig, long tubes and new cam: she was well over 500 based on injector load, but it wasn't on the dyno so can't really tout that. Don't know torque, but I do know it cost me ~3k and not ~45k to get there. She'll be there again, or I'll sell the blower

and if you could READ, my post says "average cost since 2002" aka gas prices change, aka I literally added up 18yrs of average price (sauce provided, you didn't read it either) and divided by 18 to get a NATIONAL AVERAGE over 18yrs of gasoline sales

I cannot state that more clearly. If you still don't get it, maybe you do need an electric car

if you'd like I can AVERAGE out the oil change cost over the last 18yrs as well and we might STILL be below the buy in for an electric kit. Who knows? You sure don't

Last edited by arthursc2; 10-07-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

This is asinine to keep arguing this. How about you stop thinking people are pieces of ****, and maybe someone wants to not wake up their spouses when they go to work, golf, or errands. You made a (stupid) point, and I made an equally valid counter point. Your one argument that you are stuck on doesn't need to apply to only you, and neither does the counter point. I've said my point, and if you don't understand that, as you keep arguing the same nonsense, thats on you.
You can say my point is stupid all you want, but you’re literally arguing that being able to sneak in and out of your bed without waking your significant other is a selling point for an EV. That is not quite the dumbest thing I have ever heard, but real ******* close to it.

BuT i CaN sNeAk OuT wItH oUt My WiFe KnOwInG oR wAkInG uP!

I’ll think whatever I damn well please and there isn’t a single thing you could do about it.

#freedom
#dinopowerforlife
#trollpower
#yourestillreadingthis
#troll
Old 10-07-2020, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Troll power 😂😂
tjmath (10-07-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 239 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by tjmath
You can say my point is stupid all you want, but you’re literally arguing that being able to sneak in and out of your bed without waking your significant other is a selling point for an EV. That is not quite the dumbest thing I have ever heard, but real ******* close to it.

BuT i CaN sNeAk OuT wItH oUt My WiFe KnOwInG oR wAkInG uP!

I’ll think whatever I damn well please and there isn’t a single thing you could do about it.

#freedom
#dinopowerforlife
#trollpower
#yourestillreadingthis
#troll
No I'm not. I've already said what my point was. You really are just a pathetic troll.
Can't do anything about it??? Grow the **** up. Its a car website. How difficult is it for you to have a conversation?

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Tahoe has made 472 to the wheels and was still getting about the same MPG when I wasn't planting it. After a reconfig, long tubes and new cam: she was well over 500 based on injector load, but it wasn't on the dyno so can't really tout that. Don't know torque, but I do know it cost me ~3k and not ~45k to get there. She'll be there again, or I'll sell the blower

and if you could READ, my post says "average cost since 2002" aka gas prices change, aka I literally added up 18yrs of average price (sauce provided, you didn't read it either) and divided by 18 to get a NATIONAL AVERAGE over 18yrs of gasoline sales

I cannot state that more clearly. If you still don't get it, maybe you do need an electric car

if you'd like I can AVERAGE out the oil change cost over the last 18yrs as well and we might STILL be below the buy in for an electric kit. Who knows? You sure don't
Of course you did. Another coincidence you have solved.

So are you going to tell me you have an 800+ ft lb electric torque curve on that too?

What are you even getting pissy about gasoline now for? I was pointing out how gas prices are lower than that.

Either way, Now its all about your tahoe. Were not allowed to have a conversation about an electric engine because of your tahoe. Wow, you are an incredibly self-centered jackass. Every damn thing in this thread that you talk about is you. In all the posts you have made in this thread, you have not even been able to make a single post that doesn't involve you or how it has to apply to you.

- - - I think both of you two are just incredibly insecure, and stuck on trying to get in the last word.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:31 AM
TECH Veteran

What else would I talk about? My college roommates girlfriend? I mean, she was hot but kinda dumb

if you read my post where I said I didn't know the torque: then you would have grasped the idea that no I'm not going to try to tell you it "makes an electric like torque curve"

if you read read my post where the only defense electrifiers have is 0-60 and the instant torque, then you'd realize how repeat parrot you sound and how I called out how this conversation was gonna go 😂

I am not insecure at all, thanks for trying to blame us for your problem. Dunning-Kruger up in here thinks he has electric all figured out and we are all the dumbasses for not "seeing how simple it is"

I have a badass truck that is configured exactly how I need it and I built the whole gotdam thing for less than an electric power plant. Guess that makes me #insecure
tjmath (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts

In certain places, yes I definitely think you will. I think tourist areas, national parks, certain businesses ALWAYS will. Even for local businesses like grocery stores, malls, other places for shopping, its a reason people specifically go to those locations. Locations that create their own solar not only does it not cost them anything, its part of the sustainable resource crowd that do support that idea, like IKEA.
You've called me foolish for believing this, but haven't given a single reason why, only your opinion.
Opinion vs. opinion. Once anywhere sees a significant increase in freeloaders charging up on the company dime, costing them real money, the freebies will end. Whether you think IKEA or any other entity is altruistic and just loves the planet, when it comes down to it, expenses are expenses...and electricity is expensive. Simplistically, as demand rises, so does cost, unless there is a massive surplus. Well there's no massive surplus of electrical generating capacity, and building more capacity costs megabucks. Prove me wrong.

Richard
The following 2 users liked this post by someotherguy:
00pooterSS (10-08-2020), arthursc2 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

I’m pretty sure this dude can’t even read his own posts. I’m gonna make a point about how you can’t hear an EV so you can come and go as you please, for “birthday gifts”, without waking people up. I honestly don’t care what your point was, the fact that you used that type of scenario killed whatever point you were trying to make.

I’ll leave you with this... if this is gonna be so cost effective, why haven’t you done it yet? Go ahead and drop it in your **** box and let us know how it only cost you 12k. And then when it doesn’t work because you don’t have batteries and drop another 25k. And then when it only can go 100 miles and you have to charge it at the grocery store because you can’t afford the electricity at your own home because you’re paying the extra loan you took out to drop it in your **** box and you realize this didn’t save any money and wish you still had that little 4.8 sitting in the engine bay. But hey... you can still leave without your wife knowing to get her last minute gifts.

The following 2 users liked this post by tjmath:
00pooterSS (10-08-2020), arthursc2 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

At this point, I think he is trolling us lmao
The following 2 users liked this post by arthursc2:
00pooterSS (10-08-2020), tjmath (10-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Electric crate motor designed to fit small block chevy.